Agency Assistant- Paid Internship
Bell Lomax Moreton is a literary agency, representing a wide range of distinguished authors and illustrators, writing and illustrating adult fiction, non-fiction and children’s books.
We are able to offer candidates interested in pursuing a career in publishing the opportunity to experience life at the heart of a busy and thriving literary agency. You will work closely with our agents, gaining invaluable first-hand experience of literary and artist agenting, publishing and the media.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Logging submissions and reading manuscripts
- Sending feedback and/or rejection letters and emails
- Taking and typing up meeting minutes
- Answering the phone and dealing with all enquiries coming into the agency
- Updating the website and agency Twitter with news stories e.g. book publications, author awards, nominations and events etc
- Assisting agents with ad hoc projects
- Filing, copying and general admin
- Creating and sending invoices to publishers and chasing late payments
- Monitoring existing publishing and subsidiary rights deals and contracts and renewing these if necessary
- Paying authors
We are looking for highly motivated and enthusiastic candidates to work with us on various projects. Good administrative and organisational skills are essential, as is a solid working knowledge of all MS Office systems. Experience of using a Wordpress CMS system, e-newsletter mailing platform, and brochure content creation and design would also be an advantage. We are a small (but perfectly formed) team and would like the potential candidate to have a positive, sociable attitude, as well as a genuine interest in the industry.
The internship will start immediately and will last for a period of 6 months, with the potential to extend into a permanent role for the right candidate. This is a paid placement (£17,500, pro rata); in return we ask that you work 9.30am-5.30pm Mon-Fri and that you commit to completing the full 6 month period*.
If you think an internship with Bell Lomax Moreton might be the right place for you to start your career in publishing, then please send your CV and covering letter to Lauren@bell-lomax.co.uk
*Please note the Bell Lomax Moreton office is based in Petts Wood (London Zone 5) and daily travel to this location will be required