Shepherds Bush, London
Permanent, Full time
Who we are
The BPP Professional Education Group is a global education provider delivering world-class professional qualifications. The group delivers undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes and professional qualifications across the UK, internationally and through innovative online learning platforms.
BPP Learning Media is a market leading producer of BPP books, course materials and e-learning materials for students, colleges and bookshops all over the world.
What you’ll do
The successful candidate will ensure that manuscripts are thoroughly proofread and copy-edited. You will play an active role in maintaining house style guidance documents, uphold editorial standards across the department and support the setup of a permissions and rights management system.
Responsibilities will include:
- To edit and/or proofread new and existing materials, including paper-based, classroom display and electronic products, in line with agreed product specifications and user demands, ensuring that, within the scope of the role, the materials are accurate, concise, effective for their purpose, reader-friendly, and will be regarded as the definitive product by our markets.
- To produce all materials in accordance with the deadlines contained in the production schedules.
- To maintain and further develop the company-wide copyright/permissions process.
- To take responsibility for the house style guide and for creating range-specific style guides as and when required.
- To take responsibility for training colleagues on house style in order to maintain high editorial standards within the department.
- To support the Head of Editorial Services with the management of freelance proofreaders.
- To manage a small range of products from origination to publication in a Lead PE capacity.
- Ability to recognise and edit clear, concise and grammatically correct material
- Ability to use editing mark-up symbols
- Experience of producing/working with detailed style guides
- Good knowledge of editing/working with track changes within MS Word and annotating PDFs in Adobe Acrobat Pro
- Ability to recognise content that may have copyright issues and a good understanding of permission/copyright regulations
- Ideally, experience of providing editorial training to colleagues
- Ideally, experience of working in an editorial capacity on academic textbooks
- Ability to approach work methodically
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and good time management
- Ability to work on numerous projects concurrently
- Concentration, accuracy and an eye for detail
- Proactive and self-motivated
- Tactful and diplomatic
What we offer
BPP exists to help people make the most of their talents – just ask the students who study with us every year. We aim to have an equally positive impact on our employees' careers by providing the culture, career development opportunities and extra benefits to inspire you personally and professionally.
BPP invests heavily in your career development – you will have free access to all of BPP's courses – from gaining an ACCA accountancy qualification, in-house leadership and management training or wide range of personal and professional development opportunities to a Graduate Diploma in Law, you can take your career in any direction you like.
Add to this a comprehensive benefits package, including 25 days’ holiday, private medical insurance, life assurance, group personal pension plan, childcare vouchers and the cycle to work scheme, and you’ll find the BPP Professional Education Group a great company to work for.
To find out more about working at BPP, please visit http://www.bpp.com/working-at-bpp
How to apply
For a full job description and details on how to apply, please visit: https://www.jobtrain.co.uk/bpp/displayjob.aspx?jobid=1951