Bloomsbury is looking for an Assistant Editor to join the dynamic editorial team of Bloomsbury Business. The business list is committed to developing its publishing in business, management, leadership and finance.
The Assistant Editor will provide essential administrative and editorial support to the Publisher. This is an exciting role which offers considerable potential for managing whole projects and developing the skills necessary for commissioning selected titles.
The ideal candidate will have some experience in publishing, including in the digital industry and have a hawk-like attention to detail. You will be confident in your decisions and have a strong awareness of the use of social media. A familiarity with systems such as Bibilio would be an advantage, but is not essential.
- Acting as the main point of contact for authors from contract to publication, in particular maintaining close contact with authors to ensure manuscripts are delivered to schedule and all queries are answered promptly and accurately
- Acting as the main editorial point of contact for internal departments such as Production, Design, Marketing, Sales, Rights and Publicity
- Attending list meetings with Production, Design and Marketing as required
- Preparing submitted manuscripts for handover to Production with the Desk Editor
- Managing the design process to ensure covers are finalized on time
- Preparing cover copy, catalogue copy and cover briefs
- Reading and evaluating scripts
- Securing strong endorsements for book jackets
- Rejecting proposals on behalf of the Publisher and responding to unsolicited proposals
- Assisting with market research, researching potential authors and subject areas
- Preparing and processing contracts and coding invoices
- Implementing contract and publication procedures
- Day-to-day management of the backlist, including monitoring stock levels and organizing and updating reprint files as required
- Checking and approving ebook files for publication
- Checking copyright permissions
- Working on digital knowledge-hub and other project(s) as required
- Contributing to the division’s social media feeds as required, in particular the planning of scheduled content for the Bloomsbury Business Twitter feed
- Sending gratis copies to authors and endorsers
- Representing the company occasionally at events or book launches
Skills, knowledge, experience
- Experience in publishing, including digital
- Familiarity with Biblio 3 or similar system an advantage
- Strong IT skills including working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Digitally competent and aware, particularly in relation to social media
- Confident decision maker
- Meticulous, efficient, with excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Enthusiastic team player
This role is based at Bloomsbury’s beautiful London office, 50 Bedford Square, London, WC1B 3DP.
To apply, please send a CV and covering letter, including current salary details to email@example.com.
Please note in the subject line: Assistant Editor 3103
The closing date for this role is 31/03/19