Working closely with the Bloomsbury Education team across books for teachers and educational fiction publishing, this role is an excellent opportunity for an editorial assistant looking for their next step in educational publishing and keen to develop their editorial skills.
- Supporting desk editors and commissioning editors with administrative and editorial tasks
- Maintaining the publishing schedule and keeping the title management system (Biblio) up to date and accurate
- Organising and assisting with the writing of AIs, catalogue copy and book fair materials
- EBook and audio checking
- Copyediting new manuscripts alongside project editor/commissioning editor
- Writing cover and artwork briefs
- Writing back cover copy
- Liaising with sales, production, design marketing and editors to ensure that sales materials are produced on time
- Proofreading and liaising with authors at proof stage, collating comments and corrections, feeding back to production and then checking off changes on revised proofs
- Liaising with external and internal designers on page layouts, covers and artwork briefs, including storyboarding
- Representing the education list at sales conferences and events as required
Skills, knowledge, experience
- Organised, confident and a good communicator
- Excellent knowledge of the English language, high standards of accuracy and a keen eye for detail
- Strong organizational skills and a rigorous, self-motivated approach to briefing, meeting deadlines and managing schedules and budgets
- Able to prioritise and manage time effectively
- Awareness of print procedures and printing needs
- Awareness of cost limitations and profitability of a project
- Demonstrable experience of education publishing essential
To apply, please email your CV, a covering letter outlining how you meet the requirements outlined in the ‘skills, knowledge and experience’ above, your salary expectations and notice period to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note in the subject line: 'Assistant Editor Education 0908'.
This role is based at Bloomsbury Publishing Plc, 50 Bedford Square, London, W1B 3DP. The closing date is 9 August 2019.