Commissioning Editor – Arts and Visual Culture, Academic Division
Bloomsbury Publishing PLC is an entrepreneurial, independent, worldwide publisher listed on the London Stock Exchange with offices in London, Oxford, New York, Sydney and New Delhi. Over its 33-year history, Bloomsbury’s mission has been to publish works of excellence and originality.
This is an exciting opportunity to play a key role in the development of Bloomsbury’s award-winning academic division.
Arts and Visual Culture is a fast-growing academic publishing list, publishing under the Bloomsbury Visual Arts imprint. We are seeking a commissioning editor to oversee the list – researching new product lines, commissioning new books, providing strategic direction, and ensuring that the Arts and Visual Culture list meets key business goals. The role will report to our Publisher for Architecture, Arts and Visual Culture, and the successful candidate will join a friendly team based in our central London offices.
- Strategic list management: understanding how Bloomsbury’s strategic objectives feed into list development; gather market knowledge to identify priority areas and product types for development; work with authors and colleagues to deliver effective and timely publishing outcomes; oversee frontlist and backlist in accordance with business goals
- Commissioning: research, commission and develop high-quality new books and book series for the list, meeting pre-agreed annual targets
- Quality: coordinate peer review and market research to ensure high quality and appropriate proposals and manuscripts
- Interdepartmental liaison: work closely with marketing, sales, production, and, as necessary, digital teams
- Analysis: monitor, review and analyse the performance of the list
- Representation: attendance at conferences in the UK and internationally, campus visits and sales conferences
- Digital product development: as required, explore the commissioning and development of new Digital Resource products, in collaboration with our Digital Resources division.
Skills, knowledge, experience
- Experience of commissioning non-fiction content
- Creative and commercial approach to list development, management and commissioning
- Strong problem-solving, organisational and time management skills
- Collaborative team player
- Strong analytic and financial skills
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively
- Competent user of publishing software systems
- Meticulous attention to detail
The role is full time, permanent, and based at Bloomsbury Publishing Plc, 50 Bedford Square, London, WC1B 3DP. Bloomsbury Publishing offers a competitive salary and generous staff discounts.
To apply, please email your CV, a covering letter outlining how you meet the requirements outlined in the ‘skills, knowledge and experience’ above, your salary expectations and notice period to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note in the subject line: Commissioning Editor - Arts and Visual Culture.
The closing date for this role is Monday, 25 November 2019