Bloomsbury Publishing PLC is an entrepreneurial, independent, worldwide publisher listed on the London Stock Exchange with offices in London, Oxford, New York, Sydney and New Delhi. Over its 33 year history, Bloomsbury’s mission has been to publish works of excellence and originality.
This role presents a rare opportunity for the right person to lead an entrepreneurial team of five charged with creating a path-breaking programme in digital publishing that provides students, researchers and lecturers with works of enduring value and helps shape disciplines.
The Content Acquisition Director has responsibility for creating new products and managing the overall output of the Content Department in our Digital Resources Division, a start-up unit within Bloomsbury Publishing Plc. Working closely with in-house and external content providers, the successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Reviewing all business cases for new digital products, from concept through to content acquisition – by guiding the content team to develop market-facing business cases as well as by developing his / her own
- Managing and mentoring the BDR Content Department to supply strategic direction for existing products, ensuring that launched products are supported with content updates that respond to market needs and maximize product impact, usage and reception
- Signing partnership deals to enhance or supplement his/her products developed around Bloomsbury-owned IP, and creating products entirely through such partnerships across media
- Improving processes to ensure acquisition of content is as seamless as possible and that decisions are as much as possible evidence-based
- Signing, developing and launching products and managing a team to a pre-agreed revenue target per annum to ensure delivery to our 5-year plan
- Business justifications for third party partnerships resulting in large scale digital products and presentation to internal stakeholders
- Working under the direction of the Academic Publishing Director to supply a forward strategy for building Bloomsbury’s Digital library business on the product side
- Line managing direct reports on the Digital Content team (Publisher and Commissioning Editor), and mentoring editors across the Academic Editorial team to ensure products in development align with market needs and Bloomsbury’s internal business requirements
- Managing market research, writing and presenting business plans for product concepts
- Once signed off, working with Project and Product Management teams to schedule key deliverables in light of overall launch requirements
- Under the direction of the Academic Publishing Director, manage overall product plan and ensure that product pipeline is robust
- Serve as Product Sponsor or Editorial Lead, as necessary
- Research and strategically target content providers for partnership opportunities, maintaining an ongoing list of leads
- Pitch to IP holders, underscoring the value of a Bloomsbury partnership
- Where appropriate, respond to tenders for hosting IP
- Contract negotiation and relationship building with external partners
- Participating in all phases of the product life cycle, with decision-making authority on issues regarding content
- Keeping on top of and reporting back on competitor activity to ensure we remain innovative
- Representing Bloomsbury at conferences and key library events, as required
Skills, knowledge and experience
- An entrepreneurial spirit and the imagination and drive to conceive of large-scale projects that excite and engage end users and create profile for Bloomsbury as we scale our business
- Ability to think big and deliver: positive, proactive self-starter with strong creative vision, an ability to work with stakeholders both within and outside the business and a focus on the competitive landscape, who thrives on winning business and moving new ideas and products forward
- Proven commercial acumen and track record of launching and managing successful products
- Solid experience of licensing content to create new products and of commercial terms and business models
- Superior content licensing negotiation skills with third parties
- Superior interpersonal and management skills
- Solid experience in academic publishing, with a demonstrable track record of successfully advancing large-scale products from partnerships
- A demonstrable understanding of the value of the editorial process to product success
- A track record of meeting targets and deadlines
- Knowledge of emerging trends and issues in the academic marketplace, particularly in relation to digital products and library sales
- Experience of product management and content acquisition across a broad range of media
- Track record of curating multi-format databases
- Excellent knowledge of the academic library market globally
- Experience of managing complex stakeholder relations and internal staff across functions to ensure content is delivered on time and to budget
The role is a full-time permanent position, based at our main office in the heart of London’s west end, 50 Bedford Square, London, WC1B 3DP.
As well as a fantastic opportunity to join a global award-winning organisation, Bloomsbury offers competitive benefits, generous staff discounts and flexible working arrangements.
To apply, please email your CV, a covering letter outlining how you meet the requirements outlined in the ‘skills, knowledge and experience’ above, your salary expectations and notice period to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note in the subject line: Content Acquisition Director, Bloomsbury Digital Resources.
The closing date for applications is Wednesday, 18 December 2019