Bloomsbury Education are looking to recruit a Design Manager. This position is a managerial and design role.
Our educational book publishing is diverse, producing books for teachers and small children. The candidate will need to apply themselves to educational covers, fiction covers, 4 colour interior layout, mono interior layout and art direction. Creating content from scratch and stock imagery and commissioning illustrators for illustrated titles.
At Bloomsbury, we make our books collaboratively and the successful candidate will work closely with the Educational editorial team.
This role reports to the Creative Director.
- Developing and overseeing projects from initial designs to final print-ready files
- Producing own artwork or commissioning artwork from illustrators for front list titles and re-packaging existing backlist content, while always maintaining the quality and integrity of our publishing
- Manage programming and scheduling of the Educational list, ensuring projects are delivered on time and to budget
- To support and develop other members of the Educational team
- The engage and manage freelance designers
- To be able to make considered illustrator selections for projects and source and develop new talent in illustration
- Working within a team, with shared objectives of delivering growth through quality publishing and brand extension
- Maintaining excellent relationships with illustrators, agents and external stakeholders
Skills, knowledge, experience
- Highly experienced design leader with a minimum of five years Senior design experience, preferably in children’s educational publishing
- The ability to work within a team, collaborating with Editorial, Sales, Rights and Marketing and Publicity
- Proven experience of working with author and illustrator brands and a track record of sensitively managing important relationships is essential
- Technically proficient in all creative suite programmes: InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
- Solid experience of 4 colour and mono printing processes. Proficient in creating open files (including cover finishes) and print ready PDF’s for repro and print.
- Strong, clear, confident communicator
- Practical, highly organised and ambitious to deliver the very best results
- Committed to maintaining our high standards of quality and integrity as we deliver growth
The role is a full-time permanent position, based at Bloomsbury Publishing Plc, 50 Bedford Square, London, WC1B 3DP. As well as a fantastic opportunity to join a global award-winning organization, Bloomsbury offers competitive benefits and generous staff discounts.
To apply, please email your CV, a covering letter detailing how you meet the requirements outlined above for this role, examples of your work, and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note in the subject line: ‘Design Manager
The closing date for applications is 25th September 2019.