Bloomsbury Children’s Books are looking to recruit a Design Manager for our award-winning Non-fiction list.
We are looking for an experienced designer who has a real passion for crafting beautiful illustrated non-fiction books. We require a confident designer, with exceptional layout, typographic and cover design skills. This is a managerial position and we require the individual to be highly organised, forward thinking and to be able to support and lead other members of the team.
At Bloomsbury, we make our books collaboratively and the successful candidate will work closely with the Non-fiction editorial team.
This role reports to the Creative Director.
- Developing and overseeing projects from initial designs to final print-ready files, exploring new formats and re-packaging existing content, while always maintaining the quality and integrity of our publishing
- Manage programming and scheduling of the Non-fiction list, ensuring projects are delivered on time and to budget
- To support and develop other members of the non-fiction team
- To be able to make considered illustrator selections for projects and source and develop new talent in illustration
- Working within a team, with shared objectives of delivering growth through quality publishing and brand extension
- Maintaining excellent relationships with illustrators, agents and external stakeholders
- Communicate briefs to any freelance engagements
Skills, knowledge, experience
- Highly experienced design leader with a minimum of five years Senior design experience, preferably in children’s non-fiction publishing
- The ability to work within a team, collaborating with Editorial, Sales, Rights and Marketing and Publicity
- Proven experience of working with author and illustrator brands and a track record of sensitively managing important relationships is essential
- Technically proficient in all creative suite programmes: InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
- Solid experience of 4 colour and mono printing processes. Proficient in creating open files (including cover finishes) and print ready PDF’s for repro and print.
- Strong, clear, confident communicator
- Practical, highly organised and ambitious to deliver the very best results
- Able to think creatively about formats and understand the demands of colour publishing, schedules and global planning
- Committed to maintaining our high standards of quality and integrity as we deliver growth
The role is a full-time permanent position, based at Bloomsbury Publishing Plc, 50 Bedford Square, London, WC1B 3DP. As well as a fantastic opportunity to join a global award-winning organization, Bloomsbury offers competitive benefits and generous staff discounts.
To apply, please email your CV, a covering letter detailing how you meet the requirements outlined above for this role, examples of your work, and salary expectations to email@example.com. Please note in the subject line: Design Manager,
The closing date for applications is 30/08/ 2019.