Editorial Assistant, Bloomsbury Visual Art
Editorial Assistant - Bloomsbury Visual Arts
Bloomsbury Publishing Plc is a leading international publisher with strengths in trade, children’s, professional and academic publishing, both digitally and in print. We are currently looking for a highly motivated, enthusiastic and hardworking Editorial Assistant to provide administrative and organisational support within Bloomsbury Visual Arts, part of our academic division. Bloomsbury Visual Arts is one of the foremost publishers in the fields of fashion and design, with a fast-growing presence in art history and visual culture, photography and architecture. The list contains works of high quality and cutting-edge scholarship alongside education theory and practice texts for students, as well as ground-breaking digital products through its Bloomsbury Fashion Central platform and online Design and Architecture Libraries.
Working with the commissioning/content acquisition team within Visual Arts, the Editorial Assistant works on the fashion and textiles lists. This is an excellent opportunity to learn first-hand about a broad range of activities across the publishing business, particularly in relation to highly visual titles, and develop the key skills required for a career in publishing. The successful candidate will join a friendly team based in our central London offices.
To assist the Editorial Director of Bloomsbury Visual Arts and Publisher, both of whom commission in Fashion and Textiles, in the effective management of print and digital products throughout the publication process. This includes liaising with authors to ensure typescripts are delivered on time, preparing typescripts for production (including evaluating image quality and selection and securing images), sending proposals and draft typescripts for review, managing backlist titles, and other administrative duties.
Working with Authors
• Maintaining close contact with authors to ensure timely delivery of typescripts
• Acting as the main point of contact for author queries, resolving problems and answering questions promptly and accurately
• Preparing and organising author contracts
Production, Permissions and Reviews
• Preparing and briefing typescripts for production in a timely manner in line with internal deadlines
• Clearing third-party permissions
• Sending book proposals and draft typescripts for review
• Working with our eBook team to ensure titles are prepared for eBook distribution
Writing Copy and Briefing Covers
• Writing and editing marketing and back cover copy
• Briefing cover designs
Administration and Market Research
• Creating and maintaining accurate title records on internal Bloomsbury databases
• Supporting editors in managing backlist titles, including reprint administration
• Assisting with the development of new book projects by conducting market research
• Additional administrative duties, as required
Collaboration and Representation
• Liaising with other members of the Visual Arts team as well as colleagues from other departments such as production, design, marketing, sales and digital resources
• Occasionally representing the company at conferences or events, as required
Knowledge, skills and experience
• Exceptional organisational, time management and prioritisation skills
• Strong project management and multi-tasking skills
• Ability to meet deadlines and handle competing priorities
• Flexibility; ability to adapt to changing priorities
• Stays calm under pressure
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills and a good visual ‘eye’
• Ability to demonstrate accurate spelling, grammar and punctuation
• Good attention to detail
Problem-Solving Skills and Commitment
• Proactive, happy to take the initiative
• Strong problem-solving skills
• Ability to work independently
• Confident, enthusiastic, hard-working, committed
• Team player
Processes and Systems
• Ability to follow internal procedures and processes
• Ability to learn and adapt to new systems and processes quickly
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office
Industry Knowledge and Experience
• Committed to a career in academic publishing
• Some commercial awareness and understanding of the publishing industry desirable
• Some prior publishing experience an advantage
The role is a full-time permanent position, based at our main office in the heart of London’s west end, 50 Bedford Square, London, WC1B 3DP.
As well as a fantastic opportunity to join a global award-winning organisation, Bloomsbury offers competitive benefits, generous staff discounts and flexible working arrangements.
To apply, please email your CV, a covering letter outlining how you meet the requirements outlined in the ‘skills, knowledge and experience’ above, your salary expectations and notice period to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note in the subject line: Editorial Assistant, Bloomsbury Visual Art.
The closing date for applications is Monday, 27 January 2020.