Bloomsbury Wildlife is the world’s leading publisher of natural history books. Its list includes general trade titles featuring authors such as Chris Packham, Kate Bradbury, Bill Oddie and Jess French, as well as specialist ornithology works in the Helm and Poyser imprints, and much else besides. This is a rare opportunity for a creative and highly organised individual to join the editorial team. The role will be ideal for someone looking to take the first step in their non-fiction editorial career, and will see them develop essential editorial and project-management skills while offering key administrative support to the team.
- Maintaining the publishing schedule – making changes as agreed in meetings and at the request of commissioning team
- Ensuring records are up to date in our title management system, Biblio
- Organising and assisting editors with the creation of AIs, catalogue copy, book fair materials and cover copy
- Some project management of illustrated and narrative titles – taking manuscripts from submission to publication
- Liaising with sales, production, design, marketing and other editorial colleagues to ensure that sales materials are produced on time
- Supporting other members of the editorial team administratively
- Occasional proofreading and copy-checking
- Managing the department’s ebook programme
- Responding to general Bloomsbury Wildlife book-related queries
Skills, knowledge and experience
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Good organisational and time-management skills, with excellent communication skills
- Strong proof-reading and copy-editing skills
- Team player but also able to work on own initiative
- Prior publishing experience is required (this can be work experience placements/internships)
- Experience of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word)
- Experience of Indesign and Photoshop an advantage (but not essential)
- Interest, experience or knowledge of the natural world an advantage (but not essential)
- Organised, confident and with the drive to take the next step in their publishing career
The role is a full-time permanent position, based at Bloomsbury Publishing Plc, 50 Bedford Square, London, WC1B 3DP. As well as a fantastic opportunity to join a global award-winning organization, Bloomsbury offers competitive benefits and generous staff discounts.
To apply, please email your CV, a covering letter detailing how you meet the requirements outlined above for this role, and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note in the subject line: Editorial Assistant, Wildlife BM 3107.
The closing date for applications is Wednesday 31st July, 2019.