LEAD DESIGNER, Academic and Professional Division (1-Year FTC)
Bloomsbury Publishing PLC is an entrepreneurial, independent, worldwide publisher listed on the London Stock Exchange with offices in London, Oxford, New York, Sydney and New Delhi. Over its 33-year history, Bloomsbury’s mission has been to publish works of excellence and originality.
We are looking for a Lead Designer to join our busy Academic and Professional Division, which publishes across a range of subjects including Philosophy, Education, Theology, Linguistics, History, Law, Drama, Film and Media, and Fashion.
The purpose of the role is to maintain and develop the integrity of Academic and Professional Division cover and jacket design, while supporting the Design Manager in guiding all design deliverable to completions to company wide deadlines within controlled budgets.
- provide creative guidance to the design team
- trouble-shoot across team lists throughout designs life cycles
- cover design of new titles across selected lists
- generating final cover artwork (using Adobe CS) for new titles
- liasing with editorial, marketing and production colleagues, and external suppliers on cover design, status, schedules, and budgets
- ensure company systems are kept up-to-date with cover data files and status
- conduct fortnightly Cover Meeting with title Editors
Skills, knowledge, experience
- team leadership experience
- experience working in an academic publishing environment
- proven technical expertise (InDesign, Photoshop, Acrobat)
- experience of managing freelance designers and illustrators
- excellent organizational and time-management skills
- the ability to process a large volume of work quickly and accurately
- a keen eye for detail
- the confidence to liaise with internal stakeholders and external suppliers
The role is a full-time and 1 year fixed term contract position, based at Bloomsbury Publishing Plc, 50 Bedford Square, London, WC1B 3DP. As well as a fantastic opportunity to join a global award-winning organization, Bloomsbury offers competitive benefits and generous staff discounts.
To apply, please email your CV, a covering letter detailing how you meet the requirements outlined above for this role, examples of your work, and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. UK applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK.
The closing date for applications is Sunday, 23rd February 2020