Marketing Manager, Philosophy and Adoption
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced marketer to work on Bloomsbury’s prestigious Philosophy list and core textbook portfolio within the award-winning Academic division. You will plan, develop and implement marketing strategies for the high profile and high revenue Philosophy list and lead our adoption strategy and marketing for key textbooks across our publishing programme. You will manage and guide one marketing executive.
Authors on the Philosophy list include Slavoj Zizek, Mary Midgely, Alain Badiou and Carol J. Adams, and you will work on a variety of product types, from general interest and course books, to reference works. Our textbook programme will offer you the chance to work on essential class texts from a variety of disciplines, from fashion and the arts, to literary studies and history.
Reporting in to the Senior Marketing Manager, this role will suit a dynamic and confident person with solid experience of marketing in academic publishing, particularly textbook marketing, who is new to or looking to move into management.
- Responsible for UK/ROW (i.e. all territories outside Americas, India and Australia) list strategy, marketing plans, spend and budget for the Philosophy list, comprising trade crossover, textbooks, supplementary reading, monographs and reference titles
- Implement all aspects of marketing plans, including email marketing; web marketing/SEO; social media; print and online advertising; PPC; direct mail; publicity and review copies; conferences and events.
- Work with US counterpart and Bloomsbury Digital Resources to deliver results-driven, creative marketing campaigns to drive adoptions, usage, engagement, brand-recognition and sales
- Provide feedback to Editorial on book proposals (at weekly publishing meeting)
- Potential travel within UK and Europe for conferences/events and occasional attendance at evening events
- Opportunity to take responsibility for wider departmental tasks e.g. marketing strategy for cross-list series
- Responsible for UK/ROW strategy and co-ordination of department’s campaigns from across the academic publishing programme
- Analyse and lead in best practice for adoptions and textbook marketing, including inspection copy postcards, email marketing, and other adoptions-focused promotions
- Employ telesales operative/agency twice a year to improve follow up rate and secure adoptions
- Optimisation of Salesforce CRM use and reporting on adoptions, in conjunction with Sales team
Skills, knowledge, experience
- Demonstrable books marketing experience within academic publishing, including textbook marketing experience
- Experience on budgeting/planning and monitoring budget spend
- A solid understanding of academic adoption sales cycles
- Experience of building and maintaining relationships both internally and externally, demonstrating a positive attitude and diplomacy
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including accurate spelling, grammar and punctuation and a good eye for detail
- Close liaison with other departments i.e. editorial, sales, production colleagues
- Keeping up to date with the latest developments in higher education and the publishing industry
- Exceptional organisational, time management and prioritisation skills
The role is a full-time permanent position, based at Bloomsbury Publishing Plc, 50 Bedford Square, London, WC1B 3DP. Some remote working would be considered. As well as a fantastic opportunity to join a global award-winning organization, Bloomsbury offers competitive benefits and generous staff discounts.
To apply, please email your CV, a covering letter detailing how you meet the requirements outlined above for this role, and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note in the subject line: ‘Marketing Manager, Philosophy and Adoptions’.
The closing date for applications is Sunday, 23rd February 2020