Books On The Hill is a new independent bookshop based in St Albans, Hertfordshire.
We will be selling a combination of antiquarian, children’s, new, rare, special, and first edition books.
We are looking for an experienced Store Manager on a full-time basis. We are offering a very competitive salary, and career prospects to the right candidate.
- Working alongside the owner to grow and develop a new bookstore.
- Accountable for the daily management of the bookshop.
- Working directly with customers and with the owner to grow sales and achieve targets.
- Ensuring all cash handling and monetary transactions are accurately recorded, banked and secured.
- Generating monthly reports based on sales, bestseller lists, seasonal planning reports, generating subject stocklists lists.
- Creating orders for antiquarian and new lead titles, keeping a full and relevant stock.
- Working directly with distributors, publishers and authors to process orders.
- Monitoring and managing the store website.
- Overseeing the process of distribution and the customer services side of our website orders.
- Maintaining and consistently improving product knowledge.
- Responsible for ensuring staff are able to offer excellent advice to customers on book selection and are keeping up to date with the book market and industry.
- Dealing with queries and issues from staff and customers.
- Managing staff, team rotas and training.
- Set up regular book clubs; fiction and non-fiction.
- Assisting the owner with book promotions and events as and when required.
- Preform stocktakes and audits when required.
- Keep up to date with reading and changes in the book industry through all forms of media.
- Developing the stores presence within the community.
- Ensuring customers have all the information to meet their sales goals.
- Managing and growing sales of stationary, accessories and art.
- Developing relationships with other businesses within St Albans.
- Responsible for ensuring the shop is cleaned, secured and complies with Health & Safety legislation.
Skills, knowledge and experience
- Experience of working in a bookshop or within the publishing industry.
- Excellent knowledge of literature with a natural passion and enjoyment for reading.
- Excellent all round communication skills.
- Able to act proactively and with limited direct supervision, while at the same time recognising when matters need to be referred to the owner.
- The interpersonal skills necessary to develop and sustain effective relationships internally, and on behalf of the store with external bodies and with its customers.
- Able to work accurately with detailed information.
- Ability to grasp new systems.
- Experience of managing people.
- Excellent numerical skills.
- Accuracy and ability in detailed handling of paperwork and accounting.
- Able to identify and highlight potential obstacles in achieving objectives and propose solutions where appropriate.
- A high level of organizational skills.
- Look at developing our interaction and relationship with the local community, including schools.
The role is a full-time position based in St Albans, salary to be discussed. To apply, please email your CV and a covering letter detailing how you meet the requirements outlined above for this role to email@example.com.
Please note in the subject line: Store Manager
The closing date for applications is Tuesday 14th October 2019.