Expected salary: Competitive
Are you an experienced, forward-thinking and proactive editor looking to work with an innovative and ambitious company? Do you want to make your mark, working with some of the world’s best commercial storytellers, shaping their books into market leaders?
Canelo is a flourishing independent publisher based in London. We are never afraid to try new things and want to challenge publishing industry norms. We enjoy working in undervalued areas of publishing and rejuvenating them for new audiences.
Working closely with the Editorial Director you will focus on the Saga and Escape portions of our list, although with scope to commission in other areas as well. We have published several bestselling and acclaimed authors in these genres, but are looking to further build on our success. As an editor you will both commission and manage new writing with a focus on series from growing brand names. You will also help manage our important re-issue list, in every aspect from acquisition through to publication.
- Working with agents, the Editorial Director and our Reissue Researcher to find and commission great books in Saga and Escape for both frontlist and re-issue publishing, meeting ambitious targets
- Pro-actively seeking out new author and agent relationships in these genres, building the company profile and bringing on-board existing strong sellers
- Commissioning books with great ebook bestseller potential but also with strong crossover into our burgeoning print list, building support for these titles in-house
- Handling manuscripts through the critical path, including copy edits and proofreads, liaising with authors throughout
- Drafting cover briefs and working with designers and the team in-house to deliver industry-leading jackets
- Writing and editing copy, metadata and supplementary marketing and sales materials
- Liaising with authors and agents about acquisitions, editorial points, sales and marketing information and general updates
We are looking for a capable, energetic and savvy editor, a fantastic collaborator who is both open-minded about and excited by the future of publishing. If that’s you, we’d love to hear from you.
Please apply with a covering letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for applications: 31st January 2019.