Booksellers x 2
Dulwich Books are looking for two experienced booksellers to work part-time.
We are an award-winning, local independent bookshop at the heart of the local community, working with schools, attending off-site bookselling, and hosting regular events. An interest in childrens books is an advantage as this a strong focus for us.
You will be joining a dedicated and proactive team with plenty of opportunity to use your initiative.
Applicants must be willing to work at weekends. Hours Monday to Friday 7.5 hours, Sundays 5.5 hours.
We pay London Living Wage.
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org telling us why you think you would be a good fit for Dulwich Books, and what you could bring to the role. Please provide us with two referees. We will not contact them unless a job offer is made.
Closing date: Monday 15th July 2019
Skills & Experience Required
- Previous bookselling experience is essential
- Knowledge of childrens books preferred
- Proactive, organised and resourceful
- Reliable, dependable and responsible
- Knowledge of Gardlink, Excel, Word and InDesign are desirable but not essential
- Serving customers which will involve handling payments by cash, credit card and/or book tokens.
- Goods in, checking books for damages, putting on shelves
- Story Time – reading from a book of your choice with accompanying activities
- Opening and/or closing the bookshop (depending on your timetable) and ensuring it is set up for trading on the days you are scheduled to work.
- Check levels of stamps, book tokens, stationery, kitchen and bathroom items
- Check and deal with answerphone messages, phone calls.
- Dealing with enquiries and identifying customer needs & offering advice and recommending books for customers as requested. This may also involve ordering out of print books through various sites.
- Maintaining up-to-date knowledge of current titles, bestseller lists, and keeping an eye on what titles are being reviewed in the trade presses and other media.
- Dealing with email and web-based orders as we receive them.
- Ensuring bookshop emails are answered promptly and necessary action is taken.
- Processing book deliveries and returns on a regular basis, as per procedure.
- Stock-checking books, creating in-store and window displays as needed.
- Run a Z read at the day’s end, cash up, check the figures and report as requested, ensure sufficient change, float, petty cash are available.
- Reading regularly, provide staff picks reviews for the shop and the website.
- Undertaking general housekeeping duties, such as unpacking, stock replenishment and tidying, cleaning, hoovering, dusting, sweeping, washing up, in the shop, kitchen and bathroom.
- Helping with book events, including organising talks, signing sessions and reading groups;
- Provide input for ideas for themes for in-store displays and window displays
- Be flexible to the business needs and engage with changes as the business demands