Journal Development Manager - Sustainability
London, England, United Kingdom · Editorial Office
We are seeking an enthusiastic and target-oriented professional for the full-time position of Journal Development Manager - Sustainability in our London office. This is an exciting and unique opportunity to manage a brand new portfolio of Sustainability journals, so we are looking for someone who is passionate about Sustainability, has publishing and / or project management experience and proven line management responsibility.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the management, and ultimate growth and quality of the journals through content acquisition initiatives, as well as supporting and building relationships with the editorial boards (leading academics in the fields). They will be responsible for pro-actively managing the journals’ performance: they must show strong strategic direction to devise and implement editorial strategies with the goal of increasing the market share and reputation of their portfolio, and create new opportunities to drive up key performance indicators.
Under the guidance of a Program Manager and working closely with other Journal Development Managers and editorial office team members, the Journal Development Manager position requires an ability to quickly analyse large volumes of information, arrive at solution-oriented decisions, and focus on strategies that bring results. The successful candidate will have excellent interpersonal skills and ideally work experience within academic publishing, which will enable them to liaise and develop relationships with very high-profile scholars, and be an effective team manager, line-managing and supervising a Journal Development Specialist as well as working closely with members of supporting teams.
Application deadline: Monday 14th January 2019
- Manage the new Sustainability journal portfolio;
- Devise and drive content acquisition and editorial strategies to ensure the growth and success of the journals;
- Build strong relationships with high-profile scholars and pro-actively manage the Editorial Boards
- Forecast journal growth and deliver on ambitious targets;
- Promote the journals at international conferences and in all communications;
- Lead internal projects on content management and ensuring quality;
- Liaise with internal departments to ensure efficiency of operations;
- Manage and lead a team of Journal Development Specialist(s) and supporting team members
- At least 2 years of experience working in a scientific publishing house, and/or strong equivalent project management experience;
- A degree or higher is essential (in portfolio-related / Sustainability subject area) with a keen interest in dissemination of research;
- At least 1 year of management experience;
- Initiative taking, dynamic and focused personality;
- Flawless communication in written and spoken English;
- Aptitude for digesting large amounts of information, and reacting effectively to urgent situations;
- Ability to work independently, be highly organized and meet deadlines;
- Sound and mature judgment; decisive and tactful when working with multiple stakeholders;
- Technical proficiency, with hands-on skills using current software (particularly MS Excel);
- A working knowledge of common social networks and social media platforms;
Applicants must have an existing right to live and work in the EU.
Your application should include:
1. A cover letter and resume (as DOC or PDF)
2. The indication of your earliest availability 3. A 300 word summary on the following - "How do you see scientific journal publishing in ten years?”