HarperCollins is one of the UK’s foremost, diverse and innovative multi-platform publishers. We publish a wide range of books, from cutting-edge contemporary fiction, to block-busting thrillers and from fantasy literature to children’s literature and enduring classics. We also publish a great selection of non-fiction titles, including history, celebrity memoirs, biographies, popular science, dictionaries, maps, reference titles and education books, and our digital business is thriving. With nearly 200 years of history, we publish some of the world’s foremost authors, from Nobel prize-winners to worldwide bestsellers. In addition, we also publish the works of Agatha Christie, JRR Tolkien and CS Lewis.
Our Mills & Boon team are looking for a Marketing Director to join their team. This person will be responsible for leading the Mills & Boon marketing team and delivering all areas of brand strategic development (as set out in the 3 Year Plan and alongside the steering committee).
· Manage the Mills & Boon marketing team so they are clear in their objectives, develop in their jobs and deliver their objectives to grow profitable sales.
· Develop the marketing culture within the team and build the standing of team members within the publishing process.
· Proactively manage all Mills & Boon marketing costs, delivering cost efficient solutions to budget and forecast and ensuring that all marketing spend is effectively managed and reported on so that forecasts and budgets can be delivered on time and to expectation.
· Work alongside the Divisional Marketing Director and steering committee to develop the strategic direction of the Mills & Boon brand and drive the brand forward from the perspectives of sales, marketing and publicity.
· Work alongside colleagues in sales, marketing, editorial and PR to maximise opportunities and achieve goals.
· Develop proactive marcomms within HC, with Harlequin globally and with the author base.
· Develop and deliver effective retail and wholesale, non-trade and digital marketing strategies
· Lead all areas of the Bookclub’s acquisition and retention strategies.
· Provide the division with an informed expert view of its consumers, ensuring awareness of all relevant demographics, trends and behaviours.
· Propose, agree and execute a digital consumer strategy for Mills & Boon ensuring that it fully delivers on brand objectives and plots a distinctive and effective path ahead of competitors.
· Maximise unified online/offline marketing initiatives
Ensure the provision of reports, metrics, and summaries to track overall strategies and specific.
· Overall responsibility for marketing budget ensuring spend is assessed and allocated strategically.
· Strong consumer marketing/sales background
· Demonstrable experience at senior marketing level with people management responsibility
· Brand management
· Experience of digital, traditional and retail marketing
· Experience of retail, digital and bookclub channels
· Proven experience of assessing data
· A team player with strong team management skills
· Excellent communicator
· Highly numerate
· Proven leadership skills
· Strong interpersonal skills and ability to influence
· Strategic vision
· Strong business acumen
· Strong organisation skills
· Strong analytical skills
· Strong consumer marketing skills
· Positive and proactive
· Collaborative approach
· Driven by achievement
· This role has line management responsibility for the divisional Mills & Boon team (currently 6 reports)
We’re based in the News Building which we share with our News UK and Dow Jones colleagues in the newly-established London Bridge Quarter, opposite the famous Borough Market. Our new open-plan office has amazing views across London, and includes a variety of break-out areas to aid inspiration and a collaborative approach, a multi-media suite, and a fabulous canteen floor and book shop.
Please apply via the link below with your CV, cover letter and salary expectations. Early applications may be prioritised.
Please note: We consider all applicants based on their skills, experience and ability to do the job. We do not unfairly discriminate on the basis of convictions or other personal information. We do require candidates to undergo employment screening in accordance with the relevant local legislation. This will only happen at the point an offer of employment is made.
Overview of HarperCollins
Our mission at HarperCollins is to harness the power of great publishing and to amplify it through world class marketing, global strength, and relentless innovation. We are all working towards the same goal, and we do it guided by what matters most to us. The culture at HarperCollins is defined by our six values, which inform our everyday actions and the way we behave. From Finance to Editorial, our values shape the way we work.
PUTTING OUR AUTHORS AT THE HEART OF EVERYTHING. Their success is our first concern.
WORKING TOGETHER. Sharing responsibility, helping colleagues, listening well, embracing difference, and enjoying what we do.
LEARNING & ADAPTING. Taking smart risks, learning from experience without blame and being both curious and willing to change.
LOOKING OUT AS WELL AS IN. Understanding the consumer, the marketplace and the competitive environment.
LEADING NOT FOLLOWING. Staying ahead, looking to the future, being bold and always aiming to be the best.
INTEGRITY IN ALL WE DO. Timely, open and honest communication, being fair, principled and respectful.