Head of Zeus is an award-winning independent book publisher specialising in fiction and narrative non-fiction, with a rapidly expanding list of illustrated titles – lifestyle, children’s books, and illustrated non-fiction. At the end of 2019 we will have published around 250 new titles and reprinted a similar amount.
The Production, Art and Design department is recruiting a Production Assistant. This is a vital and exciting role at the heart of the publishing process as the candidate will work closely with the Sales, Editorial, and Rights departments, gaining experience and understanding of all aspects of publishing.
We are looking for a smart and enthusiastic candidate with strong organisational skills and a real attention to detail.
Primary responsibilities will be:
- Assisting the Production department by raising purchase orders for colour proofs, reviewing final print-ready files prior to sending to press, checking printers’ PDFs on screen.
- Creating prelims and backmatter for books across the Head of Zeus lists.
- Assisting the Art and Editorial departments by proofreading and taking in text amends in jacket and cover files.
- Working with the Sales department to produce costings for reprints, and supervising the production of these titles, from the delivery of updated files to the arrival of the titles in the warehouse. Organising the printing, signing and shipping of tip-in pages in conjunction with Sales Department.
- Managing the scheduling and production of our bi-annual trade catalogue. Creating children’s and foreign sales rights guides.
- Supplying cover files, text files and working copies to foreign publishers following rights sales.
- Overseeing the printing of the paperback list: liaising with typesetters; creating prelims, offset guides and print-ready PDFs.
- Overseeing the schedule and managing the workflow for all jackets and covers: setting copy deadlines for editors, and jacket circulation deadlines for the Design department; chasing both copy and jacket approval; keeping the cover schedule up-to-date and uploading approved covers onto it.
Key skills required:
- Outstanding organisational skills
- Excellent communication skills, with a collaborative and co-operative approach
- Very good command of the English language
- Accuracy and a keen eye for detail
- The ability to multi-task and prioritise effectively
- Working knowledge of the Above Creative Suite, and Adobe InDesign in particular
- Some experience of working in a book production department or publishing environment would be an advantage, although not essential
The role is full-time and based in our office in Clerkenwell (Angel / Farringdon / Kings Cross tube stations). Applicants must have the right to live and work in the UK.
Salary: commensurate with experience; 25 days’ holiday, plus benefits.
If you would like to apply, please submit a cover letter and CV to Clemence@headofzeus.com. Closing date for applications is 27 September 2019