The International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS) is a world leading authority, whose researchers produce independent analysis to advance a wider understanding of global security, geo-economics and geopolitics.
The institute is seeking to appoint an Assistant Editor, to contribute to the work of the Editorial Department. Reporting to the Head of Publications, we would like the new appointee to join us by August 2019.
- Fact-checking, copy-editing and proofreading IISS publications, to IISS House Style, as required (including text, maps and graphics).
- Fact-checking, copy-editing, proofreading and uploading content on global conflicts for the IISS Armed Conflict Database, an online product.
- Participating as necessary in product development and sales and marketing discussions for IISS publications.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant experience.
- Keen to progress a career in publishing.
- At least 2 years’ previous demonstrable experience in copy-editing and proofreading and a sharp eye for detail (essential).
- Basic experience of working with a CMS, database or online publication content.
- Experience promoting publications via social media.
- An interest in the commercial aspects of publishing.
- An understanding of international affairs or global military issues (advantageous).
The IISS provides a full employment package. The benefits package at the institute includes Life Assurance, Private Medical Insurance, Health cashback plan, Season Ticket Loan, Cyclescheme and Contributory Pension Scheme. More information about the IISS can be found at https://www.iiss.org/careers.
Salary Range: £26,000 - £30,000 gross per annum.
To apply please send your CV and cover letter highlighting your experience and the skills you will bring to the IISS by email, citing ‘Assistant Editor Application’ in the subject line to email@example.com. The closing date for receipt of applications is 15th July 2019, first round interviews are expected to take place week commencing 22nd July. Shortlisted candidates will be asked to undertake an editing test during the first-round interview.
Candidates must be eligible to work in the UK. Unfortunately, we will be unable to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Due to the expected volume of applications, only those applicants selected for interview will receive a reply following the acknowledgement email. The IISS is an equal opportunities employer.