Editorial and Marketing Assistant
The Literary Consultancy
Reports to Editorial Services Manager
Part time (4 days a week) to start March 2019
Length of contract 12 months with a view to extending
Salary £21,000 per annum (£16,800 pro rated)
Job Purpose: To provide administrative support to the Editorial Services Manager across The Literary Consultancy's (TLC) services and operations
TLC is recruiting for the role of Editorial and Marketing Services Assistant. We are looking for a highly motivated, efficient person who understands The Literary Consultancy’s position within the literary landscape to join our small but dedicated office team and provide administrative support to the company across its core editorial services and marketing strategy. You will be working directly with TLC writers and readers, act as the first port of call for general enquiries, and manage essential data collection across our services and for our Arts Council-funded Free Reads bursary scheme for low-income and marginalised writers. TLC is at an exciting stage of its history, with plans to develop our services from 2019 onwards, so this is a fantastic time to join a dynamic organisation which sits at the heart of literature and writer development in the UK and beyond.
- Editorial services administration and author care: processing of manuscript assessments (digital and postal), telephone and email enquiries from writers, reader team liaison, and payments and invoices.
- Data entry and management: entering data into our manuscript assessment and mentoring database to keep track of all TLC jobs across services; some basic financial reporting.
- Marketing support: working with the Editorial Services Manager to support TLC's marketing plan; posting regular updates on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram with the potential to take creative initiative with these platforms, advertising database support, and relevant marketing research tasks.
- ACE support: supporting ongoing administration and monitoring including data collection and evaluation for our Arts Council-funded Free Read scheme, supporting the Manager and Director with relevant evaluation processes for ACE.
- Essential: proven administrative experience in an arts environment; proficiency in all Office software, particularly Excel, and in using social media; an active interest in the publishing, self-publishing and related industries; good working knowledge of database software; a good eye for proofreading and the ability to write effective marketing copy if required; excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Desirable: previous experience working directly with writers; an understanding of arts funding and grant application processes; experience in marketing/communications; knowledge of InDesign
The Literary Consultancy is an equal opportunities employer. We particularly welcome applications from black and minority ethnic candidates, as they are under-represented within the literature sector. We do not discriminate on grounds of age, disability, gender, gender reassignment, marital status, maternity and pregnancy, race, religion, class and sexual orientation.
Please apply with a one-page (max.) letter explaining why you want to work for The Literary Consultancy, with an outline of what you would bring to the role, and a CV. Attachments as Word or PDF documents, please.
Deadline for applications: 9am, 11th February 2019. Please send to Aki Schilz: email@example.com.
Interviews: Week commencing February 18th, at Free Word, 60 Farringdon Road, London EC1R 3GA.
Applicants must be able to start work as close to 1st March 2019 as possible.