Macmillan Children's Books
Pan Macmillan (www.panmacmillan.com) is one of the largest general book publishers in the UK, with imprints including Macmillan, Mantle, Tor, Pan, Picador, Macmillan Collector’s Library, Bluebird, Macmillan Children's Books, Campbell Books, Two Hoots and Kingfisher. Pan Macmillan is part of Macmillan Publishing International Limited.
An exciting new role has been created to drive growth and creativity in the Preschool area of our business, and offers a unique opportunity for you to be part of the next chapter of growth at Macmillan Children’s Books.
This role will suit a highly motivated individual who can demonstrate a creative and commercial approach to commissioning and publishing. With strong interest in and an understanding of the Preschool market, you will be asked to create a new ideas- and illustration-led Preschool list and build on the dramatic growth of our hugely successful Campbell Books.
The ideal candidate will have a solid background in publishing for young children across international and co-edition markets and will have an innate understanding of developmental stages of Under 6s, knowing what little children love and what parents look for.
We are looking for someone with the commercial and creative drive to develop this new list, lead Campbell to the next stage of growth, and to have the practical skills to make it happen.
The successful applicant will:
● Have a broad knowledge of, and interest in, the children’s book market
● Have at least 7 years previous experience in Preschool or Picture Book publishing
● Be able to demonstrate a creative and commercial approach to publishing
● Be able to list-build and plan
● Be able to manage a P&L
● Be able to create and deliver titles to budget and critical path
● Have experience of managing creative teams
● Have excellent communication and interpersonal skills and maintain strong working relationships with the wider Editorial and Design teams, Production, Sales, Rights, Communications and Marketing teams
● Be numerate, and data and systems literate
Description of the department: Macmillan Children’s Books, which includes imprints Campbell Books, Kingfisher and Two Hoots, is a highly successful and prize-winning publisher of books for children from babies to young adults. The appointed candidate will report to the Publisher Brands, Preschool, Classics, Two Hoots - Macmillan Children’s Books - and will work within a team of first-class makers of illustrated books including picture books, novelty and activity, gift, brand-led publishing and heritage classic titles
The key tasks of the role will include, but are not limited to, the following:
● Responsible for the commercial performance of the list
● Responsible for the Publishing Strategy and investment priorities of the list
● Commissioning a new ideas- and illustration-led Preschool list that is commercially astute and profitable
● Management of Campbell Books
● Management of Creative Team
● Managing and working directly on titles within the new Preschool list
This role is based in our office in Farringdon.
To apply, please submit your named CV and named covering letter confirming your current salary and notice period, quoting reference PAN/001/20 via email to email@example.com
Please note that all personal information which we process in connection with your application will be treated in accordance with our Recruitment Privacy Notice available here: https://panmacmillan.com/recruitment-privacy-notice. Please read our Recruitment Privacy Notice before submitting your application
Closing date: 19th January 2020
All applicants must be able to demonstrate the right to live and work in the UK in order to be considered for the vacancy.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to the high volume of applications we receive we are unable to respond to everyone. If you have not heard from us within 2 weeks of the closing date then unfortunately you have not been shortlisted for the position.