Quarto, the leading global illustrated book publisher, is looking to appoint an Associate Director of Contracts and Licensing reporting into the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), based in North London, to manage its rights and licensing agreements for its UK based imprints.
The Quarto Group is the leading global illustrated book publisher and sells books in more than 45 countries and in more than 35 languages.
Assisted by two licensing assistants, you will review and comment on agreements drafted by third parties; ensure consistency of contract terms with company policies and goals; maintain and update our boilerplate contracts as required by changes in procedure or law; negotiate contractual and boilerplate issues with authors, illustrators, licensors, and agents, as well as being the point of contact for questions concerning rights and/or contractual issues.
- Working with the CAO, ensure growth and protection of Quarto’s intellectual property, with focus on the trade business whereby Quarto’s imprints publish titles directly into market
- Contracts - drafting, evaluation, negotiation and execution
- Advise on and assist with drafting for and execution of any internal corporate reorganisation projects that impact rights and IP
- Apply and maintain industry knowledge on the terms of publishing agreements including with authors, illustrators, photographers and other types of contributors, to ensure Quarto secures optimum rights and best possible terms
- Develop and implement procedures for contract management and administration in compliance with company policy. As appropriate, contribute to or influence company policies.
- Monitor compliance with company contracts procedures e.g. authorised signatories. Identify areas of recurrent pressure
- Data protection, in conjunction with the CAO manage all aspects of the Groups data protection policies.
Required Skills and Characteristics
- Sound understanding and knowledge of the book publishing industry and book publishing agreements
- Three years’ experience at a senior level within the contracts/legal function of a media company, ideally, a book publishing company
- A sound knowledge of publishing related rights, and familiarity with key concepts within copyright and trademark law
- Ability to draft and negotiate both commercial and legal terms of agreements with excellent degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- High level of written and verbal communication skills
- Flexible and able to prioritise demands on time and re-order priorities as required
- Positive attitude, collaborative and able to operate at both strategic and operational level
- Line management experience
- Would suit someone with legal degree or paralegal experience
All Cover Letters and CV's are to be sent to Michael.email@example.com