QED creates fresh, informative, high-quality non-fiction books that will appeal to children, parents and teachers alike. Part of the Quarto group, this busy publishing house based in London, requires a Junior Designer who would join a lively creative team to design books from presentation to publication and beyond.
With a wide variety of titles for children from 0 to 9, this is a great opportunity to combine your creative and design skills and gain further experience and knowledge in the environment of children’s publishing. Quarto offers a competitive salary and a range of benefits.
This role is offered as a permanent full-time role reporting to the Creative Director.
Responsibilities of the role
The Design Assistant will assist the creative team with general studio tasks: ordering and preparing dummies, uploading covers on internal systems, up keeping of sales material, helping with any marketing requirements, archiving titles and finally helping other designers with design tasks for all Young Quarto imprints.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
What we’re looking for
• Providing help when necessary with handmade dummies and other presentation material
• Help with laying out the sales presenters when needed. Ordering dummies from production
• Ensure the timely delivery of all production and prepress activities to schedule
• Make reprint corrections as needed
• Assist with various design tasks, as requested
• Archiving: helping in-house designers and freelancers with the archive files, making sure the relevant PDFs are created and the files are archived as intended.
• Creating PDFs of covers and interiors and AIs and making sure they are updated when new material is available.
• Social media and Instagram: keeping an up-to-date feed of relevant updates in an engaging way
• Some previous print design experience, ideally in illustrated book publishing
• Excellent Adobe CC skills
• Basic knowledge of book production processes from concept to publication
• Ability to manage multiple projects with minimal supervision
• Solid problem-solving skills
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Deadline oriented, with a demonstrated ability to work under pressure
• Lots of enthusiasm
If you feel like you meet the above requirements, we would love to hear from you. Please send your CV and cover letter, including salary expectations, to Malena Stojic at email@example.com.