Commissioning Editor, Illustrated Non-fiction
Company: Ryland Peters & Small
Location: Central London
Salary description: Dependent on experience
Ryland Peters & Small and CICO Books is an international co-edition publisher of illustrated craft, interiors, gift, humour and lifestyle titles. We are looking for an energetic and creative editor with meticulous desk editing skills and a proven interest in these areas.
- Commissioning, copy-editing and project-managing a range of illustrated books from inception to finished copy, including devising structure and content and working closely with authors.
- Liaising closely with the design and production departments.
- Writing creative copy for book jackets and sales and publicity materials.
- Participating in the development of the publishing programme by contributing new ideas.
Experience and skills
- A particular interest in contemporary culture and humour in both the UK and the US – from the best illustrators to the funniest puns, and all things millennial, from festivals and campervans to first-world problems and hipster hairstyles.
- An ability to find and commission the right author for project ideas originated in house, as well as assessing proposals from authors and agents.
- Strong copy-editing and proofreading skills – the role requires meticulous attention to detail, as well as sound technical ability. Relevant experience in editing illustrated non-fiction would be beneficial.
- The ability to produce creative copy, both as part of the copy-editing process and for sales and publicity materials.
- Liaising closely with the design department, as well as with the production and sales department.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- The ability to work well under pressure and as part of a small team.
- A working knowledge of InDesign CC plus proficiency in all aspects of editing to layout on an Apple Mac.
Closing date for applications is 28 September 2019. Successful applicants will be contacted and invited to attend an interview.