Commissioning Editor, Politics & International Relations
SAGE Publications is an independent, international publisher of journals, books, and electronic media. Known for our commitment to quality and innovation, we are a world leader in our chosen scholarly, educational, and professional markets. We have an exciting opportunity for full-time positions and the details are below:
Your new role:
Research, commission, develop and deliver new titles, new editions and ancillary digital resources in line with SAGE’s overall objectives and the list’s strategy. The successful candidate will maximise profitability for their products and maintain the quality of our publishing in line with our high standards. In addition, the job holder will be committed to ensuring SAGE maintains a high level of service to the authors and members of the academic community that we work with. The role will also involve close liaison with book authors, editorial, marketing, production and sales colleagues. Conference and campus travel is required to build market knowledge and contacts.
Experience and knowledge required
- Proven track record of adding value to a publishing programme (for example, through signing or developing products) in line with strategy and market need;
- Strong understanding of the dynamics of academic publishing and market conditions;
- Thorough grasp of the economics of book publishing;
- Proven ability to negotiate successfully with authors;
- Proven ability to manage internal and external relationships well;
- Proven ability to project manage publishing products from initiation through to launch;
- Proven experience in conducting market research to inform publishing product development or strategy.
A “self-starter” who is able to:
- find new authors and build relationships with key figures in Politics & IR;
- work on a large number of projects simultaneously within tight time pressures;
- plan, prioritize and carry out work to achieve targets;
- create appropriate budgets, manage costs and analyse sales and financial data;
- establish and maintain mutually beneficial relationships with authors;
- collaborate effectively with colleagues to create plans and resolve issues;
- demonstrate exceptional written and verbal communication skills;
- work independently, while liaising effectively with team members;
- use research and analytical skills to inform strategy development and project decision-making;
- bring curiosity and enthusiasm to your professional work with our authors and partners;
- make good decisions by gathering and weighing up evidence and opinions, and clearly communicating a preferred option and gaining buy-in.
Please Click Apply to Begin.
DIVERSITY & INCLUSION
At SAGE Publishing we embrace diversity and Inclusion. We seek to promote the benefits of diversity in all of our business activities and develop a business culture that reflects that belief. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, colour, race, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief as creating value through diversity is what makes us strong. As a business and as an organisation with an increasingly agile workforce, we're open to flexible working arrangements where appropriate.