Production Controller (eBooks)
REPORTING TO Head of Product Development
EMPLOYMENT TYPE 12-month contract
Pottermore Publishing is the global digital publisher of the Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts series, as well as other audiobooks and eBooks from the Wizarding World™. Our aim is innovative digital publishing that brings those stories to life and attracts a new generation of readers. We work with global eBook and audiobook retailers to celebrate the world that first began with the Boy Who Lived.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Production Controller’s primary responsibility is to manage a 12-month project to update Pottermore’s back catalogue of Wizarding World eBooks. The purpose of the project is to maintain consistency across all our eBook titles in multiple languages and to ensure that our digital publications are best in category.
There will be further opportunities to produce eBooks based on new translations of J.K. Rowling’s stories, advise on the production of cutting-edge front list eBook publishing projects and to impart technical expertise to members of the team.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
Lead the project to refresh Pottermore’ back-list eBook catalogue from ePub2 to ePub3:
• Work with the in-house Legal department to agree the scope of work and to contract third-party production resources.
• Collaborate with the in-house Creative team to ensure that covers and front and end matter are created to specifications.
• Create asset packages for each publication and traffic assets to production partners.
• Ensure files received from production partners meet our stringent requirements. • Liaise with production resources throughout production to ensure the project runs to schedule and budget.
• Update the business regularly on progress throughout the project raising any issues and risks.
Oversee the conversion from print to eBook of new foreign languages translations of the Harry Potter books:
• Manage the translation and file conversion process of eBook products – including coordinating production, supplying briefs, trafficking assets, testing and providing feedback on builds.
Assist the Senior Commissioning Editor with the conversion of new Wizarding World™ print books into eBooks and the production of original Pottermore Publishing eBooks into multiple languages:
• Provide technical input into the eBook design process, research production suppliers, gather costs, and provide recommendations.
Tertiary responsibilities Impart technical knowledge on eBook creation to the Metadata Coordinator and Production Assistant:
• Provide structured training and practical experience of producing eBooks.
New product development:
• Work with the Product team to help drive new product ideas through Pottermore’s development process.