An academic publisher with one of the most successful track records for growth over the last ten years is looking to recruit a Commissioning Editor to drive delivery of new product lines for their Nursing and Health list within the books division.
The Commissioning Editor will be responsible for developing a range of titles and new editions in line with strategy, with the aim of achieving continuous growth and strong profitability. The main responsibilities include:
- Recruiting authors to write new titles and new additions from an agreed hitlist
- Liaising with Series Editors over the development of the series
- Presenting new book and new edition proposals to the Editorial Board
- Negotiating terms with Authors, and contract completion
- Visiting Lecturers on campus and attending conferences to build market knowledge
- Maintaining up-to-date records to enable accurate forecasting
- Collaboration with Production and Design to ensure production is within budget
- Providing information and copy to support the marketing and sales of each title
- Maintaining relationships with key contacts through events and communication
- Utilising market knowledge to inform strategy.
The successful candidate will have proven experience in academic publishing, with the signing and development of products. You will have a solid understanding of the economics of book publishing and a proven ability to project-manage publishing products from initiation through to launch. Experience of conducting market research to inform and shape product development/strategy is essential, as is a strong understanding of the dynamics of academic publishing and market conditions. You will be a “self-starter”, have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and have the ability to establish and maintain relationships with authors and key stakeholders.
You will be rewarded with a competitive salary, performance-related bonus scheme, and strong benefits.
To apply for this position click on the Apply Now button below or send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the reference TP 252. For an initial, confidential discussion please call us on +44(0)1223632510.
Early applications are preferred.
Referral Scheme - Telfer Partners offer a referral reward if we fill this vacancy with someone you recommend. You can send contact details of anyone you want to recommend to email@example.com .