Head of Sales, UK
Role: Head of UK Sales
Reports to: UK Sales and Marketing Director, and Walker Group Export Sales Director.
To manage the UK sales team, develop and implement a UK Sales Strategy, help manage and deliver the UK sales budget and to sell directly to Waterstones and develop a first class working relationship and sales strategy.
1. Managerial responsibilities to include:
- Managing the UK sales team to ensure the maximisation of sales, to include Sales Managers, Field Sales Team and Freelance Sales People.
- To develop first class relationships with all key UK retailers.
- Produce monthly reports on UK Trade performance by key property and retailer.
- Develop, implement and monitor UK retailer strategies on key properties and brands.
- Manage and develop sales strategies by key author and brand. Review and analyse these regularly.
- Work closely with the UK Trade Marketing Manager on creation and implementation of trade marketing campaigns.
- Work closely with consumer marketing and publicity to ensure the most coherent sales, marketing and publicity strategies.
- Work with the Sales and Marketing Director on creation, monitoring and reforecasting of annual UK Trade Frontlist and Backlist budgets.
- Contribute fully and productively to Sales Conferences and Launch Meetings.
- Provide market feedback to all relevant company colleagues, including developments in UK retail landscape, both physical and digital.
- To fully understand and communicate when relevant to Walker business the current Children's Books market, backed up by Nielsen Bookscan data.
- Manage and develop the skills of the UK Sales Department by giving practical guidance and assessing the need for training as required.
- Undertake regular appraisals and training to achieve efficient work practice and maximum sales.
- Represent UK Trade at Brand planning meetings, preparing sales figures beforehand and presenting UK Trade view.
2. To be responsible for own budget. This would include:
- Monitoring title performance against budget target.
- Monitoring customers' performance against target.
- Planning expenditure on travel, entertainment and promotions.
- Monitoring key account spend against target.
- Submitting relevant documentation to support budget spend.
3. To visit Waterstones' Head Office on a regular basis to manage account and grow the sales through:
- Presenting and obtaining subscriptions to new titles.
- Taking orders from backlist and initiating backlist promotions.
- Negotiating terms, discounts and returns within the parameters on keeping Walker's margin intact and profitable.
- Creating promotions and submitting suitable titles for bespoke promotions.
- Carrying out regular business review meetings.
- Analysing sales promotions in order to inform future strategies.
- Maintain marketing spend and deal tracker for key accounts within the internal sales team.
- Building and maintaining customer relationships with key individuals.
- Manage and review core stock.
- Manage the Regional Managers communication of all head office promotions/activity and core stock issues.
- Work closely with the Trade Marketing Manager in the initiating and implementation of bespoke Waterstones promotion.
- Work closely with marketing and publicity departments in coordinating consumer marketing and PR activity with Waterstones.
- Work closely with Editorial with feedback on key Waterstones' titles and sales trends.
4. To be responsible for providing information to support decision-making process in acquisitions. This would include:
- Providing acquisition figures to Editorial for UK Trade projected sales.
- Market information.
- Competitor information.
- Identification of sales/new product opportunities.
- Deal tracker up to date at all times.
- Attending in house meetings to contribute to title development/author progressions.
5. To be responsible for maintaining own awareness of Walker product range in order to sell effectively. This would include:
- Attending regular meetings and sales conferences.
- Reading advance information on material.
- Maintaining knowledge in competitor range/backlists through active information seeking outside company.
6. To be responsible for liaising with Customer Service Department to ensure client/product information is updated. This would include:
- Communicating with departments to update staff on new products.
- Actively seeking information about own clients from Customer Service and Telesales.
- Ensuring efficient supply of books to customers via our distributor and dealing with any supply chain issues that may occur.
Key Performance Indicators.
- Achievement of sales targets.
- Ability to grow key account revenue whilst protecting discount and margin.
- Ability to analyse commercial effectiveness of sales activity and use that analysis to develop sales strategies going forward.
- Ability to produce and deliver incremental sales using creative thought and initiative bespoke to account base.
- Accuracy, relevance and timeliness of sales reports.
- Effectiveness of positioning/relationship with key client decision-makers.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience.
- Understanding of publishing process and product knowledge.
- Understanding of market and key customers.
- Full understanding and experience of Waterstones business.
- Financially and commercially astute with IT Skills, including strong Excel skills.
Salary: Competitive with a great benefits package
Location: Vauxhall, London
Contract Type: Maternity Cover, Flexible Hours
Closing date: 15th December 2019
If you are interested in applying for this role please send your CV and Cover Letter to email@example.com