Senior Production Controller Maternity Cover
Contract Type: Temporary Maternity Cover
Closing Date: 06/03/2019
The Walker Books Group is one of the world’s leading independent publishers of books and content for children. Walker Books UK is part of the vibrant international Group that includes Candlewick Press in America, Walker Books Australia and Walker Productions.
Renowned for its truly original publishing and outstanding quality, the Walker Books Group is home to a huge range of children's and young adult books. Award-winning authors and illustrators for the group include Angie Thomas who has recently won the CILIP Amnesty Honour, Waterstones Children’s Book Prize and the British Book Awards Best Children’s Book for The Hate U Give. Also, Sydney Smith who won the CILIP Kate Greenaway Medal for Town is by the Sea, M.T Anderson, Patrick Ness, and Jon Klassen. The major brands for the group are Maisy, We're Going on a Bear Hunt, Guess How Much I Love You, Tilly and Friends, the widely acclaimed Judy Moody and the bestselling Where’s Wally/Where’s Waldo.
Use advanced technical and supplier knowledge to manage the Wally Character list/new front list/reprint titles, work on Special Sales, Co-Editions and other group production titles as assigned. Deputise and provide cover to Production Managers as required.
- Produce, Where’s Wally Character list / new front list / reprint titles as directed by line manager. Provide feedback and updates to line manager and share experiences at production team meetings.
- Continuously work to improve systems of working and solve problems that arise
- Manage workloads by discussing new projects, requirements
- Originate and arrange for the printing and delivery of new and front list titles and reprints on group projects/ titles as assigned.
- Keep aware of progress on titles across the area of responsibility
- Support and consult with other production colleagues
- Produce supplier specifications for different product types
- Use advanced technical knowledge of colour repro, print, paper, binding, co-edition printing, delivery, packaging and safety requirements and any design issues to prevent and solve problems
- Develop good working relationships with suppliers to achieve excellent results
- Negotiate on price and make suggestions to achieve cost savings
- Work with designers and editors to define specification at initial stages and manage project through to final delivery
- Throughout project: plan, maintain and monitor schedules, set up and attend meetings to report on progress and solve problems as they occur
- Have regular meetings with Group Production Director and Head of Production Services
- Cost projects economically, by considering various specification options and supplier cost comparisons. Presenting options in a timely fashion and to agreed response times, particularly to facilitate special sales/ co edition orders
- Input into Biblio and other company systems on a regular basis to ensure they are up-to-date
- Use understanding of principles of repro, printing and delivery to produce specifications
- Carry out general housekeeping, setting an example with particular regard to invoice instruction / invoice approvals and administrative tasks across the department as required
- Previous experience within a production role at a senior level
- Experience with Co-edition printing, colour work and plate changes
- Strong negotiation skills
- Ability to plan, prioritise and manage a varied workload amongst a busy team
- Excellent communication and numerical skills
- Knowledge and enthusiasm of the children’s book publishing industry is not essential but would be advantageous
What you’ll receive?
- Competitive Salary
- 22 days holiday (plus bank holidays and 1 day extra per year)
- Health Insurance
- Generous Pension Contribution
- Life Assurance
- On-site subsidised canteen
- Plus other great benefits!
We are an equal opportunity employer and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind. We are committed to this principle and providing a safe and supportive work environment.