Illustrative Non-Fiction – Junior and Middleweight Designers
Would you like to join a fast paced, rapidly expanding publishing group? Welbeck’s Adult Non-Fiction team are looking for talented and experienced book designers to join our team, full time. These are exciting opportunities for creative and passionate individuals brimming with ideas.
These roles involve working on a diverse range of non-fiction, highly illustrated titles, designing in-house as well as commissioning and managing freelance designers, illustrators and other contributors. The designers will report to the Design Manager and will also work closely with our publishers.
A minimum of one year’s professional graphic design experience in illustrated books is essential for the junior position and three years for the middleweight. You should have:
- Knowledge and understanding of illustrated publishing
- Excellent creative flair and imagination
- Ability to mock-up ideas and briefs
- Ability to spot and set trends, with an innovative approach
- Proficiency in InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator with strong typographic skills
- Ability to present ideas and concepts to internal and external teams
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to establish working relationships at all levels
- Experience controlling budgets and schedules
- Solid understanding of production processes along with the ability to set up and supply correct files for repro and print
- Confidence working at a fast pace whilst always maintaining high quality and attention to detail
What you’ll be doing:
- Developing projects from initial ideas to final print ready files
- Researching and responding to current trends and styles within publishing and also the wider world of art and design
- Ensuring books are delivered on time and to budget
- Working with production to check off proofs and printer plotters
Dependant on experience
25 days, increasing with tenure
Discretionary bonus, Pension, Season ticket loan, Cycle to work, Life assurance
Only successful applicants will be contacted.
To apply, please send your CV and covering letter (stating salary expectations) along with a PDF or link to your portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Closing date for applications is 9th March 2020 although early applications may be prioritised.