Head of Production, Design and Editorial Management, Art & Architecture
Department: Art & Architecture Production
Reporting to: Managing Director
Permanent: Full Time Contract
Salary: Competitive, depending on experience
Yale University Press London seeks an outstanding publishing professional to lead the Production Department of our prestigious Art and Architecture list, manage and mentor our team and take responsibility for the entire book production process, ensuring meticulous monitoring of quality, standards and costs, and timely, accurate production and information scheduling.
Purpose of job
- To manage the entire book production process for all Yale University Press London Art and Architecture books
- To ensure careful management of quality, standards and costs
- To develop and maintain systems to ensure accurate production and scheduling information provision companywide
Originally founded in New Haven Connecticut in 1908, Yale University Press has a unique position as the only American university press with a full-scale publishing operation in Europe, publishing serious non-fiction that contributes to a global understanding of human affairs. Our diverse and prize winning list includes numerous prestigious museum and gallery partnerships including the Yale Center for British Art and the Fitzwilliam Museum, the Pevsner architectural guides series and books by globally respected authors including Carmen Bambach, Terry Eagleton, A.C. Grayling, Richard Holloway, Clive James, Yasmin Khan, Geoffrey Parker, Nicholas Penny, Aileen Ribeiro, David Rieff, Sir Roy Strong, Zeynep Tufekci and Amanda Vickery.
Yale University Press London is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age. We value, promote and seek diversity.
- To manage the production of all Art & Architecture titles (new titles, co-editions, reprints) to schedule, budget and quality requirements. To ensure full and connected schedules, comprehensive monitoring of all print production stages from design layouts to delivery of finished copies including: high quality colour accuracy for illustration reproductions, astute and appropriate material choices with an effective choice of suppliers
- To direct strategy, inform and maintain relationships with key suppliers, maintain print-buying policy with suppliers globally in line with the publishing list
- To inform and develop design direction for Art & Architecture titles alongside acquisitions / editorial colleagues, in line with the demands of the publishing schedule and wider company expectations
- To direct department finances and annual budget preparation ensuring expenditure, including freelancer fees, repro and manufacturing costs, remains within budget and is constantly assessed
- To manage and mentor all staff within the department
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain and improve workflow and internal processes and keep abreast of new technologies to enhance innovation and efficiency
- Collaborate closely with the Editorial and Production Department in our office in New Haven USA.
- Manage picture research via in house and external resources
- Manage pre handover schedules and disseminate updated information globally to company
- Direct innovation in internal and external design to competitive, market leading standard
- Liaise closely with other senior Production Department colleagues
- Going on press/press pass when required
- Monitor and update technical production equipment
Person Specification – Key knowledge & skills
- Proven expertise in precise, accurate and flexible book scheduling
- Ability to manage budgets
- Experience of managing and mentoring staff
- Keen visual instincts and experience of highly illustrated books
- Negotiation of freelance / suppliers to achieve cost reductions
- Strategic thinking
- Knowledge and experience of using Microsoft Excel, Word, Adobe Photoshop, Quark, InDesign, Photoshop, Bridge & Acrobat
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and team working skills
- Experience of going on Press/knowledge of art printers
What we can offer:
Yale University Press London offers a generous package of benefits including accommodation deposit and travel loans, a cycle purchase scheme, a lively social scene and a generous pension scheme. As Co-organisers of the annual Bedford Square Arts Festival, our staff enjoy access to the Bedford Square gardens at lunchtimes throughout the summer months.
The role will be based in our offices on Bedford Square in Bloomsbury WC1, with convenient access to the Northern and Central lines as well as many bus routes.
Please send your CV and supporting covering letter (including availability, notice period details and current salary) to:
Robert Owen (Head of People & Office Operations): email@example.com
Closing date: Sunday 9th February 2020
Processing and safeguarding your data - Please see YUPL’s candidate privacy notice https://www.yalebooks.co.uk/pid/page/jobs