Yale University Press, London Office – Publishing Assistant, Art and Architecture.
Job Title: Publishing Assistant: Art & Architecture
Reporting to: Editorial Director: Art & Architecture
Permanent: Full Time Contract
Salary: Circa £20,000 to £22,000 per annum depending on experience
Yale Press seeks an enthusiastic and hardworking person with a genuine interest in illustrated art book publishing. Reporting directly to the Art Editorial Director and Head of Production, the role is responsible for organisational and administrative duties to support acquisitions, editorial and production development for Yale’s prestigious art list.
Purpose of job
- To work closely with the Editorial Director, Art Acquisitions Editor and Head of Production-Design and Editorial, providing administrative and organisational support to both roles and the wider department
- To be the primary organisational liaison between offices in the London and New Haven Art / Architecture departments
- To work closely with the project editors, providing specific editorial support to the Art/Architecture editorial team on individual book projects
- To take primary responsibility for all data implementation for the art/architecture titles
Originally founded in New Haven Connecticut in 1908, Yale University Press has a unique position as the only American university press with a full-scale publishing operation in Europe, publishing serious non-fiction that contributes to a global understanding of human affairs. Our diverse and prize winning list includes numerous prestigious museum and gallery partnerships including the Yale Center for British Art and the Fitzwilliam Museum, the Pevsner architectural guides series and books by globally respected authors including Carmen Bambach, Terry Eagleton, A.C. Grayling, Richard Holloway, Clive James, Yasmin Khan, Geoffrey Parker, Nicholas Penny, Aileen Ribeiro, David Rieff, Sir Roy Strong, Zeynep Tufekci and Amanda Vickery.
Yale University Press London is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age. We value, promote and seek diversity.
- Perform organisational and administrative duties in support of acquisitions development, including author liaison, collation of author information forms and documents to present to our Publishing Board. General administrative duties including producing contracts, working on catalogue copy, helping with reader’s reports, invoice processing, administering copyright applications, author book orders and complimentary copies. Handling general departmental enquiries from authors, freelance staff, New Haven office and the warehouse.
- Provide editorial and production support to the project editors. Including potentially: proofreading, inputting corrections to book layouts in InDesign, checking bibliographies, indexes, captions, picture credits, as required.
- Implement and maintain the input of data to the Yale database for all art/architecture titles.
- Act as primary liaison between art/architecture team and press/marketing departments in both our London and New Haven offices, providing material as required for key meetings and use in press and marketing campaigns.
- Work alongside Head of PDE in maintaining and managing the production archive and log for all titles as published by the art/architecture team in the London office.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Obtaining and distributing advance/comp copies as required
- Occasional attendance at and preparation for conference, sales and marketing events
- Performing other duties or tasks in support of colleagues as required
Person Specification – Key knowledge & skills
- Some knowledge and experience of using Microsoft Excel, Word Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, InDesign, Bridge & Acrobat)
- Highly organised, proactive and efficient with good attention to detail, and the ability to prioritise effectively, using initiative and working to deadlines
- Good team player with a willingness to work collaboratively across the department and the organisation
- A keen interest in illustrated and art book publishing
- An enthusiastic and willing approach
What we can offer:
Yale University Press London offers a generous package of benefits including accommodation deposit and travel loans, a cycle purchase scheme, a lively social scene and a generous pension scheme. As Co-organisers of the annual Bedford Square Arts Festival, our staff enjoy access to the Bedford Square gardens at lunchtimes throughout the summer months.
The role will be based in our offices on Bedford Square in Bloomsbury WC1, with convenient access to the Northern and Central lines as well as many bus routes.
Please send your CV and supporting covering letter (including availability, notice period details and current salary) to:
Robert Owen (Head of People & Office Operations): firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: Friday 25th January 2019
Processing and safeguarding your data - Please see YUPL’s candidate privacy notice https://www.yalebooks.co.uk/pid/page/jobs