We have a new role for an Acquisitions Editor, working for a lovely publisher of trade books, to work across their successful non-fiction list. This role would suit someone who is currently working at mid to senior editor level or is in their first acquisition post already. Working across the full list on Global and UK titles, you will commission and project manage around 10-12 new titles a year from pitch to finished product. This role can be worked on a hybrid working basis.
Some of the key responsibilities of this role will involve, but are not limited to:
- Contributing to creating, planning, and executing company strategy to develop your list and develop and progress short and medium-term publishing plans, acquiring a number of agreed titles per year.
- Soliciting, evaluating and developing ideas for new books
- Developing relationships with authors and agents, with a view to future acquisitions
- Developing proposals for books and pitching
- Determining viability and profitability of acquisitions, including drawing up proposals and generating profit and loss estimates
- Keeping abreast of competitors and maintain market awareness in order to adapt to changing markets and seek out new publishing opportunities
We are looking for a self-starter who thinks like an entrepreneur and who has a flair for finding, creating and developing ideas which are well thought through. You will have some experience as a mid to senior editor or junior acquisitions editor across the nonfiction genre. You will have the ability to understand a book’s vision and pitch it appropriately, understanding the commercial opportunity it presents. The ability to negotiate confidently and constructively challenge when required is essential to this role as is a good mix of strong creative and analytical skills.
For further information please send your CV and a short cover note, outlining your salary expectations.