International Publishing Manager, Wizarding World
Role Title: International Publishing Manager, Wizarding World
Reports to: Head of International Publishing, Wizarding World
Team: International Publishing, Wizarding World
We are looking for an experienced rights professional to join our busy team managing translation rights to Harry Potter and the Wizarding World titles.
What our team do
The International Publishing team, Wizarding World, manages translation rights in Wizarding World and J.K. Rowling children’s titles. This includes the translated editions of the Harry Potter series for which we have significant, long-term publisher relationships in many territories. We collaborate closely with the Brand and Franchise, and Pottermore teams to develop marketing and publication plans for Wizarding World titles internationally.
What you’ll be doing
- Manage Wizarding World publishing accounts in your own territories to include Spain, Latin America, Brazil, Netherlands amongst others
- Work closely with the Head of International Publishing, Wizarding World, to develop sales targets and strategies for your territories
- Identify and maximise opportunities for Wizarding World and J.K. Rowling children’s titles in your markets
- Review and approve translated editions (covers, copyright notices, interiors), and publishing programmes
- Draft and negotiate complex international publishing contracts (with support from our in-house Legal team)
- Facilitate and encourage working partnerships between key Wizarding World publishers and other franchise partners to establish cross-marketing opportunities
- Review and approve all marketing plans and assets from the Wizarding World publishing partners in your territories
What we’re looking for
- Demonstrable understanding of the international publishing industry
- Advanced negotiation skills and a proven track record in managing translation rights deals
- Specific experience selling translation rights in the above-mentioned markets is desirable
- Excellent relationship building and international account management skills at senior decision-maker level
- Experience handling highly confidential information and materials
- Experience working for high profile authors and author brands and an interest in brand development
- A knowledge of and appreciation for the Wizarding World!
Who we are
The Blair Partnership is a literary and entertainment agency. We offer our clients a broad range of services including rights management, client representation and franchise management. As part of those services, we help to manage several companies on behalf of our client J.K. Rowling. Those companies include Pottermore and Bronte. These businesses benefit from shared resources and expertise provided by The Blair Partnership, but they are run by their own leaders.
There are three core pillars to The Blair Partnership’s business activity:
- Franchise Management – which encompasses brand & franchise vision and strategy, creative strategy & direction, product development, brand management & comms for the Wizarding World franchise
- Client Management - we represent our clients’ literary and entertainment rights portfolios and pursue commercial opportunities for our clients through deal making in the UK, US and internationally, partner management and backlist rights management.
- Governance & support - we provide governance and support to companies owned by J.K. Rowling and Neil Blair. As part of that support, we cultivate close collaboration & strong, cohesive working practices between all the businesses.
Our vision remains to shape, nurture and grow the most imaginative and engaging brands for generations to come, working with our clients. Our mission is to shape and connect stories to their audiences.
We are committed to creating an environment where our staff, clients & partners can tell their stories and achieve their potential whatever that may be. We are committed to representing a diversity of skills, experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds. We strive to make this a business that is welcoming, supportive and empowering; where all voices can be heard. It’s a work in progress and we know there is always more we can do.
What you can expect from us
- Competitive Salary
- Hybrid working pattern (3 days/week on-site)
- Company Bonus Scheme
- 33 days holiday (including bank holidays)
- Group Pension Plan where we contribute 5%
- Life Assurance of 4 times salary
- Health Insurance (currently with Vitality)
- Health Shield Cashback Plan
- Harry Potter Franchise Partner discounts and a free ticket to see both parts of Harry Potter & The Cursed Child
- Annual Creative Bursary
- Season Ticket Loan
- Cycle Scheme