This is an exciting opportunity for an Editor with relevant publishing experience to join the Education team, working across a range of primary and early years materials that include illustrated home learning books, teacher resources and professional development titles.
The successful candidate will have experience in the education market, will be up to date with the latest education initiatives and be passionate about creating books for practising teachers that are fit for purpose, innovative and commercial. They will be enthusiastic and creative, with a firm commitment to creating high quality educational books and digital products for the UK and International markets. This is a maternity cover role and is anticipated to last for a period of a year from end of September/beginning of October 2019.
- Working with the Editorial Director and Commissioning Editor to project manage projects across a broad range of educational titles, from teacher resources and professional development books to highly illustrated workbooks.
- Liaising with authors, freelancer editors, designers and in-house production.
- Project managing titles from commission to print and monitoring publishing schedules, including liaising with production staff to maintain schedules and Biblio data.
- Liaising with Sales, Publicity and Marketing departments.
- Present titles at Launch and Review meeting.
- Gatekeeper of editorial quality embracing house style and in-house processes.
- Supports junior members of staff on editorial processes and project management.
- Representing Bloomsbury Education at conferences and events.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Established editorial experience within educational publishing.
- Excellent knowledge of the English language, high standards of accuracy and a keen eye for detail.
- Strong visual awareness.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong organizational skills and a rigorous, self-motivated approach to briefing, meeting deadlines and managing schedules and budgets.
- Working directly with authors, illustrators, agents and third parties.
- Project management of the life of all components of a project, ensuring it is running to schedule and budget.
- Copy editing and proof-reading manuscripts and layouts to house style
- Briefing covers according to key dates and schedules, making sure cover copy is suitable for the end buyer and stands up against competition.
- Working with production to ensure they have the information they need with regard to formats, specifications and finishes, and updating them regularly during the life of a project.
- Awareness of print procedures and printing needs.
- Awareness of cost limitations and profitability of a project.
The role is a full-time, maternity cover position, based at Bloomsbury Publishing Plc, 50 Bedford Square, London, WC1B 3DP. As well as a fantastic opportunity to join a global award-winning organization, Bloomsbury offers competitive benefits and generous staff discounts.
To apply, please email your CV, a covering letter detailing how you meet the requirements outlined above for this role, examples of your work, and salary expectations to email@example.com. Please note in the subject line: Senior Editor, Education 0109'
The closing date for applications is 1 September 2019.