An exciting opportunity has arisen for a detail oriented and highly organised Assistant Editor to join Head of Zeus’s vibrant commercial fiction imprint, Aria. The candidate will have demonstrated experience as either an Editorial Assistant or Assistant Editor and be well versed in all aspects of an editorial department. The Assistant Editor will work across genres (primarily romance, historical and cosy) on a wide range of titles and will assist on every aspect of the publishing process.
This role will report to the Editorial Director of Aria.
You will work closely with Aria’s Publisher and Editorial Director on all aspects of the imprints publishing.
To assist with the day-to-day running of the imprint and provide support across all aspects of the team’s publishing:
- Serve as the desk editor for the publisher and editorial director
- Create and review AI’s (Advance Information sheets) and new entries for acquisitions
- Prepare P&Ls for acquisition meetings and liaise with sales team
- Review and update keywords/metadata and proof Amazon copy
- Ensure Biblio entries for all titles are up-to-date and feeding out correctly
- Maintaining digital and print schedules and critical path for Aria titles
- Preparing and checking catalogue copy
- Reading submissions and providing feedback to Aria editors
- Opportunity to bring projects to acquisitions meetings
- Assessing and, where necessary, rejecting submissions
- Structural edits for any titles where they are named editor
To assist Aria Publisher and Editorial Director with editorial management of books:
- Liaising with authors and production department from copyedit stage onwards
- Liaising between production dept and editors to ensure deadlines are met and that books are typeset as per critical path
- Proof collation and checking corrections on pages
- Providing information for prelims
- Proofreading and signing off prelims for print
- Proofreading cover
- Adhoc tasks as required
Communicating with authors:
- Liaising with authors on copyedits and text changes
- Notifying authors and agents of digital promotions
- Sharing sales figures
- Ordering gratis/contract copies from warehouse for authors and agents
- General support with author visits/author meetings
Knowledge, skills and experience
- A demonstrable passion for commercial publishing is essential; the successful candidate will have real market awareness and be able to talk about books in the market, particularly within the eBook market
- Previous experience using Biblio
- A real sense of trends and the ability to help with forecasting
- Familiarity with the BookTok community and key influencers
- Impeccable copywriting and copyediting skills
- Ability to work efficiently and prioritise tasks as they come in
- Excellent communication and time management skills
- Top notch project management skills, good organisation and meticulous attention to detail
- A positive and collaborative approach to working
The role is a full-time permanent position.
Salary: up to £30,000 depending on experience
The role is based at our London office 5-8 Hardwick Street, London EC1R 4RG on a hybrid working pattern of 2 days office based / 3 days home based (or fully office based if preferred). Allocated office days are: Monday and Wednesday or Thursday
Please apply with a CV and covering letter addressed to Human Resources (Word or PDF format only) via the ‘APPLY NOW’ button detailing how you meet the requirements outlined above for this role by Friday 8th December 2023.
Bloomsbury reserve the right to close the role early if we exceed the required number of applications
As well as a fantastic opportunity to join a global award-winning organisation, Bloomsbury offers the following competitive benefits package:
- hybrid working pattern of: 2 days office based / 3 days home based (or fully office based if preferred)
- 25 days holiday
- 3.5 days Christmas company holiday
- Two paid Personal Wellness Days
- Flexible Fridays – take Friday afternoon off by working an additional 3 hours and 45 minutes earlier in the week
- Season Ticket Loan
- Sharesave Scheme
- AXA Healthcare Plan (Private Medical Insurance)
- In-house Doctor
- Eyecare Voucher Scheme
Company culture – Employee Voice Meetings, Staff Networks (Bloom (BAME), Accessibility, Mental Health, Pride, and Parents, Guardians and Carers) and 21 Mental Health First Aiders trained across the UK offices, Publishing Events and access to free Publishing Resources
For additional benefits see below
Bloomsbury is a place where anyone of any background, race, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, gender identity, age, ability, or socio-economic status can thrive, feel comfortable, and be heard and accepted. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all sections of the community.
We are willing to make any reasonable adjustments throughout the recruitment process, please flag to the recruitment team if required
Applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK.
Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.
Bloomsbury Publishing is a leading independent publishing house, established in 1986, with authors who have won the Nobel, Pulitzer and Booker Prizes, and is the originating publisher and custodian of the Harry Potter series. Bloomsbury has offices in London, New York, New Delhi, Oxford and Sydney. Within Bloomsbury’s Academic division, it publishes under Bloomsbury, as well as under a number of prestigious and historic imprint names. Read Our Story for how it all began.
Bloomsbury is committed to creating a working environment that stimulates creativity and collaboration, is respectful of difference, is inclusive and ethical in its practice, and promotes well-being. We are determined to nurture and develop our employees to reach their highest potential, and we know that our success is down to the passion, commitment and hard work of our talented people. We recognise the urgent need to attract and support applicants from all backgrounds and identities to become part of the global publishing industry, allowing diverse voices to reflect and shape our culture and society.
Please read more on our Missions and Values here.
Please read our environmental policy here.