Assistant Product Manager - Bloomsbury Digital Resources
Bloomsbury Digital Resources is looking for a meticulous Assistant Product Manager to join the growing Product Management team. Reporting to the Product Manager, you will work on our prestigious eBook platform Bloomsbury Collections, curating eBook titles, delivering timely content updates, and working with developers on functional enhancements. The role will be based in Bloomsbury’s central London office (with the option to work remotely three days per week), and is an opportunity to work in a crucial strategic aspect of digital publishing within a rapidly growing division.
Assist the Product Manager in maintaining our Bloomsbury Collections platform, ensuring that it meets the needs of scholarly users within our global customer base of academic libraries.
- Ensure monthly content updates and regular platform enhancements are delivered to the agreed schedule and budget
- Liaise with Editorial counterparts to define the content of new collections
- Project management of adding new content sets to the platform, overseeing content conversion and delivery of files where necessary, and ensuring bibliographic information and metadata is correct and up-to-date
- Liaise with sales, marketing and customer services to communicate addition of new content and product enhancements
- Liaise with external software developers on day-to-day site management, bug-fixing and User Acceptance Testing of new development work
- Act as ‘product champion’, using product expertise to respond to queries from sales, customer/technical support and customers, troubleshooting and escalating issues as required, and contributing to strategic development of the platform
- Monitor sites for bugs and improvements, respond to customer and sales requests for product enhancements, and prioritise requirements based on business priority
- Provide regular website usage analytics reports and advise on opportunities for improving content & features based on analytics
- Carry out market research with librarians (including Win-Loss Analyses), end-user interviews and User Experience research to ensure that the platform meets user needs
- Assist with recruitment and training of new team members as appropriate, with the potential for taking on line-management responsibility.
- Promote the Product Management team within the wider company and demonstrate an aptitude for more managerial tasks.
- Represent the company externally, e.g., at meetings with partners, conferences, and presentations to customers.
- Provide training and guidance for Editorial teams
- Channel feedback from the market by meeting end-users through user testing sessions, focus groups, conferences or sales visits.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Proven experience of digital product development or publishing metadata
- Understanding of project management & development processes
- Experience of gathering & interpreting web usage analytics
- Experience working with large set of data
- Excellent implementation and time-management skills
- An excellent eye for detail and a logical, problem-solving approach
- Aptitude to learn and adapt to new workflows.
- Experience in working with XML and/or with Content Management Systems an advantage
- A proactive, “can-do” attitude and willingness to learn
- Passion for, and interest in developing a career in, digital product management
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
The role is a full-time permanent position and is based at our London office 50 Bedford Square, London, WC1B 3DP on a hybrid working pattern of 2 days office based / 3 days home based (or fully office based if preferred). Allocated office days for this role are: Wednesday/Thursday.
Please apply with a CV and covering letter addressed to Human Resources (Word or PDF format only) via the ‘APPLY NOW’ button detailing how you meet the requirements outlined above for this role by 7th January 2022.
Bloomsbury reserve the right to close the role early if we exceed the required number of applications
As well as a fantastic opportunity to join a global award-winning organisation, Bloomsbury offers the following competitive benefits package:
- hybrid working pattern of: 2 days office based / 3 days home based (or fully office based if preferred)
- 25 days holiday
- 3.5 days Christmas company holiday
Flexible Fridays – take Friday afternoon off by working an additional 3 hours and 45 minutes earlier in the week
Season Ticket Loan
Eyecare Voucher Scheme
Mob Group – online fitness classes, mindfulness, cookery classes, workshops etc.
Company culture! – Employee Voice Meetings, Staff Networks (BAME, Disability, Mental Health, LGBTQ+ and Parents, Guardians and Carers), 15 Mental Health First Aiders trained across the UK offices, Publishing Events and access to free Publishing Resources
For additional benefits see below
Bloomsbury is a place where anyone of any background, race, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, gender identity, age, ability, or socio-economic status can thrive, feel comfortable, and be heard and accepted. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all sections of the community.
We are willing to make any reasonable adjustments throughout the recruitment process, please flag to the recruitment team if required
Applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK.
Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.
Bloomsbury Publishing is a leading independent publishing house, established in 1986, with authors who have won the Nobel, Pulitzer and Booker Prizes, and is the originating publisher and custodian of the Harry Potter series. Bloomsbury has offices in London, New York, New Delhi, Oxford and Sydney. Within Bloomsbury’s Academic division, it publishes under Bloomsbury, as well as under a number of prestigious and historic imprint names. Read Our Story for how it all began.
Bloomsbury is committed to creating a working environment that stimulates creativity and collaboration, is respectful of difference, is inclusive and ethical in its practice, and promotes well-being. We are determined to nurture and develop our employees to reach their highest potential, and we know that our success is down to the passion, commitment and hard work of our talented people. We recognise the urgent need to attract and support applicants from all backgrounds and identities to become part of the global publishing industry, allowing diverse voices to reflect and shape our culture and society.
Please read more on our Missions and Values here.
Please read our environmental policy here.