Commissioning Editor, (Maternity Cover), Language & Education, Research Methods Bloomsbury Education Childhood Studies
Our Education list is an internationally recognised and growing component of Bloomsbury Academic with global appeal and a diverse publishing mix, spanning books and digital resources.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced Commissioning Editor to join Bloomsbury’s award-winning academic division. Working as part of a supportive and inclusive team, you will assume commercial responsibility and provide strategic direction for developing our publishing in language and education and research methods, as well as acting as editorial subject lead for Bloomsbury Education Childhood Studies.
- Provides the strategic direction and is commercially responsible for Education and Language and Research Methods within Bloomsbury’s academic division in conjunction with direct line manager
- Identifies, manage and secure new book and digital resource publishing partnerships
- Under direction from their line manager, acts as the Editorial Subject Lead for Bloomsbury Education and Childhood Studies (digital product), working in collaboration with project teams, including commissioning and coordinating ongoing editorial content
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Proven relevant experience in academic publishing
- A growth mind-set, always seeking opportunities to expand and improve
- Results-oriented and commercially focussed and with the ability to develop negotiating skills
- Highly organized and with the ability to develop and maintain business relationships
- Proven ability to work positively and collaboratively with colleagues, internal stakeholders.
- Handles and communicates information sensitively and professionally
- Places a high value on quality of content, author care, company reputation and sustained customer relationships
- Focusses on solutions, not problems
The role is a part-time (30 hours per week), 12 months maternity cover position
The role is based at our London office 50 Bedford Square, London, WC1B 3DP on a hybrid working pattern of 1 day office based / 4 days home based (or fully office based if preferred). Allocated office day for this role is: Thursday
Please apply with a CV and covering letter addressed to Human Resources (Word or PDF format only) via the ‘APPLY NOW’ button detailing how you meet the requirements outlined above for this role by Sunday 3rd July 2022.
Bloomsbury reserve the right to close the role early if we exceed the required number of applications
As well as a fantastic opportunity to join a global award-winning organisation, Bloomsbury offers the following competitive benefits package:
- hybrid working pattern of: 1 days office based / 4 days home based (or fully office based if preferred) – specific to this role
- 25 days holiday
- 3.5 days Christmas company holiday
- 2 Personal Wellness Days
Flexible Fridays – take Friday afternoon off by working an additional 3 hours and 45 minutes earlier in the week
Season Ticket Loan
Eyecare Voucher Scheme
That Day – access to complementary wellness workshops
Company culture! – Employee Voice Meetings, Staff Networks (BAME, Disability, Mental Health, LGBTQ+ and Parents, Guardians and Carers), 15 Mental Health First Aiders trained across the UK offices, Publishing Events and access to free Publishing Resources
For additional benefits see below
Bloomsbury is a place where anyone of any background, race, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, gender identity, age, ability, or socio-economic status can thrive, feel comfortable, and be heard and accepted. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all sections of the community.
We are willing to make any reasonable adjustments throughout the recruitment process, please flag to the recruitment team if required
Applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK.
Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.
Bloomsbury Publishing is a leading independent publishing house, established in 1986, with authors who have won the Nobel, Pulitzer and Booker Prizes, and is the originating publisher and custodian of the Harry Potter series. Bloomsbury has offices in London, New York, New Delhi, Oxford and Sydney. Within Bloomsbury’s Academic division, it publishes under Bloomsbury, as well as under a number of prestigious and historic imprint names. Read Our Story for how it all began.
Bloomsbury is committed to creating a working environment that stimulates creativity and collaboration, is respectful of difference, is inclusive and ethical in its practice, and promotes well-being. We are determined to nurture and develop our employees to reach their highest potential, and we know that our success is down to the passion, commitment and hard work of our talented people. We recognise the urgent need to attract and support applicants from all backgrounds and identities to become part of the global publishing industry, allowing diverse voices to reflect and shape our culture and society.
Please read more on our Missions and Values here.
Please read our environmental policy here.