Content Analyst - 1 Year Fixed Term Contract
Bloomsbury is a leading international publisher, with strengths in trade, children’s, professional and academic publishing. We are currently seeking a graduate-level candidate to work on our ground-breaking digital publishing products which are mainly produced in XML. These products range from Drama Online, which reproduces a wealth of plays from the Shakespearean to the 20th century, through to the Berg Fashion Library visual arts archive, Bloomsbury Food Library, Design Library, Popular Music, Cultural Histories and many others. We are currently looking for someone to work in our London office on permanent contract, to undertake quality assurance (QA), testing and management of the platform’s XML content.
The ideal candidate will have previous experience or training in the digital publishing sector (digital production or production) and an interest in the development of digital technologies for the publishing industry.
This is an exciting opportunity to work for an award-winning publishing house and be a part of its growing digital team.
Responsibilities will include (but will not be limited to):
- Quality assurance (QA), testing and management of the platform’s XML content.
- Checking XML coded texts against source editions for structural and textual errors.
- Following automated and manual routines and checklists systematically in order to identify and rectify errors in the XML files.
- Inputting and checking any required metadata and taxonomy indexing to aid discoverability of XML texts.
- Testing online content on Bloomsbury platforms to identify data/platform issues.
- Analysing content and contributing to mark-up guidelines.
- Managing the workflow from conversion to upload for content sets on existing platforms.
Skills and experience
We are looking for an enthusiastic person with the following attributes:
- Knowledge of XML as applied in a publishing, academic or online environment
- A basic knowledge of HTML would also prove good background experience
- Experience of working with and navigating highly structured documents using XPath
- Excellent written English and the ability to communicate clearly and concisely for a range of audiences
- Acute attention to detail and a thorough, scrupulous and highly responsible attitude to work
- An awareness of editorial issues as related to digital content conversion
- Experience of or familiarity with XML querying or transformation (xQuery or XSLT)
- Experience of using digital editing software, e.g. oXygen, XML Spy or similar
- Experience of working with a database or CMS
- Familiarity with XML content models (e.g. DocBook or TEI) and validation
- Experience of working in a publishing environment, ideally in academic social sciences or humanities
- An interest in the development of digital technologies for the publishing industry.
- Experience of scripting or coding an advantage.
We are looking to fill a full-time permanent role with someone matching the above skills profile, and the option of an immediate start is available. The role will be based at Bloomsbury’s London office at 50 Bedford Square, London, WC1B 3DP on a hybrid working pattern of 2 days office based / 3 days home based (or fully office based if preferred). Allocated office days for this role are: Wednesday and (Tuesday or Thursday).
Please apply with a CV and covering letter addressed to Human Resources (Word or PDF format only) via the ‘APPLY NOW’ button detailing how you meet the requirements outlined above for this role by Friday 28th January 2022.
Bloomsbury reserve the right to close the role early if we exceed the required number of applications
As well as a fantastic opportunity to join a global award-winning organisation, Bloomsbury offers the following competitive benefits package:
- hybrid working pattern of: 2 days office based / 3 days home based (or fully office based if preferred)
- 25 days holiday
- 3.5 days Christmas company holiday
Flexible Fridays – take Friday afternoon off by working an additional 3 hours and 45 minutes earlier in the week
Season Ticket Loan
Eyecare Voucher Scheme
Mob Group – online fitness classes, mindfulness, cookery classes, workshops etc.
Company culture! – Employee Voice Meetings, Staff Networks (BAME, Disability, Mental Health, LGBTQ+ and Parents, Guardians and Carers), 15 Mental Health First Aiders trained across the UK offices, Publishing Events and access to free Publishing Resources
For additional benefits see below
Bloomsbury is a place where anyone of any background, race, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, gender identity, age, ability, or socio-economic status can thrive, feel comfortable, and be heard and accepted. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all sections of the community.
We are willing to make any reasonable adjustments throughout the recruitment process, please flag to the recruitment team if required
Applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK.
Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.
Bloomsbury Publishing is a leading independent publishing house, established in 1986, with authors who have won the Nobel, Pulitzer and Booker Prizes, and is the originating publisher and custodian of the Harry Potter series. Bloomsbury has offices in London, New York, New Delhi, Oxford and Sydney. Within Bloomsbury’s Academic division, it publishes under Bloomsbury, as well as under a number of prestigious and historic imprint names. Read Our Story for how it all began.
Bloomsbury is committed to creating a working environment that stimulates creativity and collaboration, is respectful of difference, is inclusive and ethical in its practice, and promotes well-being. We are determined to nurture and develop our employees to reach their highest potential, and we know that our success is down to the passion, commitment and hard work of our talented people. We recognise the urgent need to attract and support applicants from all backgrounds and identities to become part of the global publishing industry, allowing diverse voices to reflect and shape our culture and society.
Please read more on our Missions and Values here.
Please read our environmental policy here.