Bloomsbury is looking for an enthusiastic Contracts Assistant to join the thriving and dynamic Contracts Department. This is an exciting opportunity for someone looking for an entry-level role in Contracts, or having had previous experience in Contract Administration. The role will suit someone who wants to work in a global award-winning publishing house, surrounded by books but on the legal side of book publishing (not in the more commonly known departments of editorial or rights).
The ideal candidate will gain a thorough understanding of the publishing process and work closely with Bloomsbury’s different divisions. You will have an ever-present attention to detail, with a passion for accuracy, language and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Contract Administration: communicating with internal departments to ensure that all contract administration and paperwork is completed on time and filed correctly
- Responsible for maintaining contractual information on Biblio
- Ensuring that contractual procedures and guidance documents are correct and up to date (key to the running of the Contracts Department)
- Drafting contracts including addenda, letters of termination with the opportunity to draft head contracts once an appropriate level of experience has been gained
- Supporting key projects: liaising with literary agents, authors and proprietors to agree terms, enabling publication of eBook editions of backlist titles
- Communicating with internal departments and external counterparts, responding to general queries regarding contractual terms and processes for all Bloomsbury imprints
- Processing reversion requests: including careful analysis of sales figures and stock levels, and liaising with Editorial and Sales teams to reach a decision with the support of Contract team
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- Strong administrative and organisation skills
- Keen attention to detail
- Knowledge of Biblio would be a bonus but training will be provided
- Excellent interpersonal skills, comfortable with speaking to people of all levels
- Ability to carefully research and solve queries
- Ability to manage a varied workload and prioritise effectively Knowledge of publishing contracts an advantage
This is a permanent, full-time position with a salary of £23,000 per annum based at our beautiful offices in Bedford Square London; however, as all Bloomsbury employees are currently working from home, this role will also be based from home until our offices reopen.
As well as a fantastic opportunity to join a global award-winning organisation, Bloomsbury offers competitive benefits and generous staff discounts.
This position is eligible for Bloomsbury’s Rental Deposit Loan Scheme. To assist candidates who want to start and to establish a career in publishing, Bloomsbury offers an interest-free rental deposit to support securing somewhere to live. The rental deposit loan can be up to £3,000 to be paid back over 2 years.
To apply, please email your CV and a covering letter outlining how you meet our requirements for this role to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note in the subject line ‘Contracts Assistant BM 1412’
The closing date for applications is 14 December 2020.
Applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK