The Bloomsbury Special Interest design team are looking to recruit a Cover Designer.
We are looking for a highly creative, enthusiastic, passionate cover designer to work with the rest of the team across the numerous Bloomsbury Special Interest Non-fiction imprints including Sigma (popular science), Green Tree (Health and Wellness), Bloomsbury Sport, Bloomsbury Continuum (Politics, Religion, Philosophy), Bloomsbury Wildlife, Conway and Reeds (Nautical) Bloomsbury Business and Herbert Press (Craft and Art). The successful applicant will report to the Head of Special Interest Design.
- Overseeing cover designs from initial brief to final print-ready files while always maintaining the quality and integrity of our publishing
- Where appropriate commissioning and briefing photographers, illustrators and freelance designers.
- Attending and overseeing photoshoots, where required.
- Working closely with the Production department
- Working to tight deadlines and specifications, and within a set budget.
- Keeping abreast of latest design trends
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Ability to liaise with editors, illustrators, photographers and freelancers to interpret ideas in an effective manner.
- Excellent design, typography and layout skills.
- Highly proficient in InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Able to supply files for repro and print
- Strong communication, interpersonal and organisational skills.
- Proactive, independent and able to work to proscribed deadlines and schedules.
- Illustration experience preferred but not essential.
The role is a full-time permanent position
Salary Pay Range: £29,000 – £32,000
The role is based at our London office 50 Bedford Square, London, WC1B 3DP on a hybrid working pattern of 2 days office based / 3 days home based (or fully office based if preferred). Allocated office days for this role are Monday and Tuesday
Please apply with a CV and covering letter and portfolio samples addressed to Human Resources (Word or PDF format only) via the ‘APPLY NOW’ button detailing how you meet the requirements outlined above for this role by 3rd December 2023.
Bloomsbury reserve the right to close the role early if we exceed the required number of applications
As well as a fantastic opportunity to join a global award-winning organisation, Bloomsbury offers the following competitive benefits package:
- hybrid working pattern of: 2 days office based / 3 days home based (or fully office based if preferred)
- 25 days holiday
- 3.5 days Christmas company holiday
Two paid Personal Wellness Days
Flexible Fridays – take Friday afternoon off by working an additional 3 hours and 45 minutes earlier in the week
Season Ticket Loan
AXA Healthcare Plan (Private Medical Insurance)
Eyecare Voucher Scheme
Company culture – Employee Voice Meetings, Staff Networks (Bloom (BAME), Accessibility, Mental Health, Pride, and Parents, Guardians and Carers) and 21 Mental Health First Aiders trained across the UK offices, Publishing Events and access to free Publishing Resources
For additional benefits see below
Bloomsbury is a place where anyone of any background, race, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, gender identity, age, ability, or socio-economic status can thrive, feel comfortable, and be heard and accepted. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all sections of the community.
We are willing to make any reasonable adjustments throughout the recruitment process, please flag to the recruitment team if required
Applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK.
Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.
Bloomsbury Publishing is a leading independent publishing house, established in 1986, with authors who have won the Nobel, Pulitzer and Booker Prizes, and is the originating publisher and custodian of the Harry Potter series. Bloomsbury has offices in London, New York, New Delhi, Oxford and Sydney. Within Bloomsbury’s Academic division, it publishes under Bloomsbury, as well as under a number of prestigious and historic imprint names. Read Our Story for how it all began.
Bloomsbury is committed to creating a working environment that stimulates creativity and collaboration, is respectful of difference, is inclusive and ethical in its practice, and promotes well-being. We are determined to nurture and develop our employees to reach their highest potential, and we know that our success is down to the passion, commitment and hard work of our talented people. We recognise the urgent need to attract and support applicants from all backgrounds and identities to become part of the global publishing industry, allowing diverse voices to reflect and shape our culture and society.
Please read more on our Missions and Values here.
Please read our environmental policy here.