We are looking for an Editor to join the Sport and Green Tree team at Bloomsbury, part of the Special Interest Division.
You must be an experienced editor of mono and colour titles, with exceptional organisational and project management skills, who has a good eye for detail and who is used to juggling a variety of tasks.
In this department, we create original and high quality content to inform, entertain and inspire across a number of subject areas including sport, fitness, health and wellbeing.
- Project-managing colour and mono titles through the editorial process while balancing quality, time and cost
- Briefing and managing freelancers and in-house designers
- Building strong working relationships with authors, agents and colleagues
- Arranging and attending photoshoots
- Writing Advance Information sheets, and catalogue and jacket copy
- Briefing jacket and page designs
- Maintaining in-house systems including Biblio and FocalPoint
- Attending industry events
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Editorial experience in mono and colour book publishing
- Meticulous attention to detail
- First-rate oral and written communication skills
- Excellent proofreading and copy-editing skills
- Ability to write strong sales copy and blurbs
- Ability to prioritise and use own initiative, managing several projects at one time
- Solid time-management skills to cope with competing deadlines
- Knowledge of Biblio an advantage
- A team player
- Wide-ranging interest in sport and/or health and wellbeing would be a distinct advantage
The role is a full-time permanent position.
The role is based at our London office 50 Bedford Square, London, WC1B 3DP on a hybrid-working pattern of 2 days office based/3 days’ home based (with allocated office days being Monday and Tuesday). If preferred, the role can be fully office based Monday to Friday.
Please apply with a CV and covering letter addressed to Human Resources (Word or PDF format only) via the ‘APPLY NOW’ button detailing how you meet the requirements outlined above for this role by Sunday 9th April.
Bloomsbury reserve the right to close the role early if we exceed the required number of applications.
As well as a fantastic opportunity to join a global award-winning organisation, Bloomsbury offers the following competitive benefits package:
- hybrid working pattern of: 2 days office based / 3 days home based (or fully office based if preferred)
- 25 days holiday
- 3.5 days Christmas company holiday
Two paid Personal Wellness Days
Flexible Fridays – take Friday afternoon off by working an additional 3 hours and 45 minutes earlier in the week
Season Ticket Loan
Eyecare Voucher Scheme
Company culture – Employee Voice Meetings, Staff Networks (Bloom (BAME), Accessibility, Mental Health, Pride, and Parents, Guardians and Carers), 9 Mental Health First Aiders trained across the UK offices, Publishing Events and access to free Publishing Resources
For additional benefits see below
Bloomsbury is a place where anyone of any background, race, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, gender identity, age, ability, or socio-economic status can thrive, feel comfortable, and be heard and accepted. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all sections of the community.
We are willing to make any reasonable adjustments throughout the recruitment process, please flag to the recruitment team if required.
Applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK.
Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.
Bloomsbury Publishing is a leading independent publishing house, established in 1986, with authors who have won the Nobel, Pulitzer and Booker Prizes, and is the originating publisher and custodian of the Harry Potter series. Bloomsbury has offices in London, New York, New Delhi, Oxford and Sydney. Within Bloomsbury’s Academic division, it publishes under Bloomsbury, as well as under a number of prestigious and historic imprint names. Read Our Story for how it all began.
Bloomsbury is committed to creating a working environment that stimulates creativity and collaboration, is respectful of difference, is inclusive and ethical in its practice, and promotes well-being. We are determined to nurture and develop our employees to reach their highest potential, and we know that our success is down to the passion, commitment and hard work of our talented people. We recognise the urgent need to attract and support applicants from all backgrounds and identities to become part of the global publishing industry, allowing diverse voices to reflect and shape our culture and society.
Please read more on our Missions and Values here.
Please read our environmental policy here.