Bloomsbury Publishing Plc is a leading international publisher with strengths in trade, children’s, professional and academic publishing, both digitally and in print. We are currently looking for a highly motivated, enthusiastic and hardworking Editorial Assistant to provide administrative and organisational support working on the Design and Crafts list within the Visual Arts team, part of our academic division. Bloomsbury Visual Arts is one of the foremost publishers in the fields of fashion and design, with a fast-growing presence in architecture, art history and visual culture. The list contains works of high quality and cutting-edge scholarship alongside education theory and practice texts for students, as well as innovative digital resources.
This is an excellent opportunity to learn first-hand about a broad range of activities across the publishing business, particularly in relation to highly visual titles, and develop the key skills required for a career in publishing. The successful candidate will join a friendly team based in our central London offices.
To assist the Publisher and the Commissioning Editor for Design in the effective management of print and digital products throughout the publication process. This includes liaising with authors to ensure typescripts are delivered on time, preparing typescripts for production (including evaluating image quality and selection and securing images), sending proposals and draft typescripts for review, managing backlist titles, and other administrative duties.
Working with Authors
- Maintaining close contact with authors to ensure timely delivery of typescripts
- Acting as the main point of contact for author queries, resolving problems and answering questions promptly and accurately
- Preparing and organising author contracts
Production, Permissions and Reviews
- Preparing and briefing typescripts for production in a timely manner in line with internal deadlines
- Third-party permissions administration
- Sending book proposals and draft typescripts for review and researching suitable reviewers
- Working with our eBook team to ensure titles are prepared for eBook distribution
Writing Copy and Briefing Covers
- Writing and editing marketing and back cover copy
- Briefing cover designs
Administration and Market Research
- Creating and maintaining accurate title records on internal Bloomsbury databases
- Managing new content and contract administration for our digital resource, the Bloomsbury Design Library
- Supporting editors in managing backlist titles, including reprint administration
- Assisting with the development of new book projects by conducting market research
- Additional administrative duties, as required
Collaboration and Representation
- Liaising with other members of the Visual Arts team, including the Senior Development Editor for Design, as well as colleagues from other departments such as production, design, marketing, sales and digital resources
- Occasionally representing the company at conferences or events, as required
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Exceptional organisational, time management and prioritisation skills
- Strong project management and multi-tasking skills
- Stays calm under pressure
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and a good visual sense
- Ability to demonstrate accurate spelling, grammar and punctuation
- Good attention to detail
Problem-Solving Skills and Commitment
- Proactive, happy to take the initiative
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently
- Confident, enthusiastic, hard-working, committed
- Team player
Processes and Systems
- Ability to follow internal procedures and processes
- Ability to learn and adapt to new systems and processes quickly
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office
Industry Knowledge and Experience
- Committed to a career in academic publishing
- Some commercial awareness and understanding of the publishing industry desirable
- Some prior publishing experience an advantage
The role is a full-time permanent position with an annual salary of £24,000 per annum.
The role is based at our London office, 50 Bedford Square, London, WC1B 3DP, on a mandatory working pattern of 2 days office based / 3 days home based (or fully office based if preferred). Allocated office days for this role are Wednesdays and Thursdays.
As an Assistant role, this position is eligible for Bloomsbury’s Rental Deposit Loan Scheme. To assist candidates who want to start and to establish a career in publishing, Bloomsbury offers an interest-free rental deposit to support securing somewhere to live. The rental deposit loan can be up to £3,000 and will be paid back over 2 years.
Please apply with a CV and covering letter addressed to Human Resources (Word or PDF format only) via ‘APPLY NOW’ button detailing how you meet the requirements outlined above for this role by Sunday, 3 October 2021 – Bloomsbury reserve the right to close the role early should we exceed the required number of applications.
As well as a fantastic opportunity to join a global award-winning organisation, Bloomsbury offers the following competitive benefits package:
- hybrid working pattern of: 2 days office based / 3 days home based (or fully office based if preferred)
- 25 days holiday
- 3.5 days Christmas company holiday
Two paid Personal Wellness Days
Flexible Fridays – take Friday afternoon off by working an additional 3 hours and 45 minutes earlier in the week
Season Ticket Loan
Eyecare Voucher Scheme
Company culture! – Employee Voice Meetings, Staff Networks (Bloom, Disability, Mental Health, Pride and Parents, Guardians and Carers), 12 Mental Health First Aiders trained across the UK offices, Publishing Events and access to free Publishing Resources
For additional benefits see below
Bloomsbury is a place where anyone of any background, race, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, gender identity, age, ability, or socio-economic status can thrive, feel comfortable, and be heard and accepted. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all sections of the community.
We are willing to make any reasonable adjustments throughout the recruitment process, please flag to the recruitment team if required
Applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK.
The Book Trade Charity provide financial assistance for people looking to get into the publishing industry; you can find more information and talk directly here: http://booktradeentrysupport.org.
Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.
Bloomsbury Publishing is a leading independent publishing house, established in 1986, with authors who have won the Nobel, Pulitzer and Booker Prizes, and is the originating publisher and custodian of the Harry Potter series. Bloomsbury has offices in London, New York, New Delhi, Oxford and Sydney. Within Bloomsbury’s Academic division, it publishes under Bloomsbury, as well as under a number of prestigious and historic imprint names. Read Our Story for how it all began.
Bloomsbury is committed to creating a working environment that stimulates creativity and collaboration, is respectful of difference, is inclusive and ethical in its practice, and promotes well-being. We are determined to nurture and develop our employees to reach their highest potential, and we know that our success is down to the passion, commitment and hard work of our talented people. We recognise the urgent need to attract and support applicants from all backgrounds and identities to become part of the global publishing industry, allowing diverse voices to reflect and shape our culture and society.
Please read more on our Missions and Values here.
Please read our environmental policy here.