Editorial Assistant, Bloomsbury Wildlife
Bloomsbury Wildlife is the world’s leading publisher of natural history books. Its list includes general trade titles featuring authors such as Chris Packham, Kate Bradbury, Tiffany Francis and Jess French, as well as specialist ornithology works in the Helm and Poyser imprints, and much else besides. This is an opportunity for a creative and highly organised individual to join the editorial team. The role will be ideal for someone looking to take the first step in their non-fiction editorial career, and will see them develop essential editorial and project-management skills while offering key administrative support to the team.
- Ensuring records are up to date in our title management system, Biblio
- Maintaining the publishing schedule – making changes as agreed in meetings and at the request of commissioning team
- Organising and assisting editors with the creation of AIs, catalogue copy, book fair materials and cover copy
- Liaising with sales, production, design, marketing and other editorial colleagues to ensure that sales materials are produced on time
- Supporting other members of the editorial team administratively
- Occasional proofreading and copy-checking
- Managing the department’s ebook programme
- Attendance at trade shows and conferences
- Responding to general Bloomsbury Wildlife book-related queries
Skills, knowledge, experience
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Good organisational and time-management skills, with excellent communication skills
- Strong proof-reading and copy-editing skills
- Team player but also able to work on own initiative
- Prior publishing experience is required (this can be work experience placements/internships)
- Experience of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word)
- Experience of InDesign and Photoshop an advantage (but not essential)
- Interest, experience or knowledge of the natural world an advantage (but not essential)
- Organised, confident and with the drive to take the next step in their publishing career
This a full-time permanent position with a salary of £23,000 per annum
The role is based at our London office 50 Bedford Square, London, WC1B 3DP however, as all Bloomsbury employees are currently working from home, this role will also be based from home until our offices reopen on a mandatory working pattern of 2 days office based / 3 days home based (or fully office based if preferred).
As well as a fantastic opportunity to join a global award-winning organisation, Bloomsbury offers competitive benefits, generous staff discounts and flexible working arrangements.
As an Assistant role, this position is eligible for Bloomsbury’s Rental Deposit Loan Scheme. To assist candidates who want to start and to establish a career in publishing, Bloomsbury offers an interest-free rental deposit to support securing somewhere to live. The rental deposit loan can be up to £3,000 and will be paid back over 2 years.
Please apply with a CV and covering letter addressed to Human Resources (Word or PDF format only) detailing how you meet the requirements outlined above for this role by Tuesday 1st June, 2021.
Applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK.
The Book Trade Charity provide financial assistance for people looking to get into the publishing industry; you can find more information and talk directly here: http://booktradeentrysupport.org
Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.
Bloomsbury Publishing is a leading independent publishing house, established in 1986, with authors who have won the Nobel, Pulitzer and Booker Prizes, and is the originating publisher and custodian of the Harry Potter series. Bloomsbury has offices in London, New York, New Delhi, Oxford and Sydney. Within Bloomsbury’s Academic division, it publishes under Bloomsbury, as well as under a number of prestigious and historic imprint names. Read Our Story for how it all began.
Bloomsbury is committed to creating a working environment that stimulates creativity and collaboration, is respectful of difference, is inclusive and ethical in its practice, and promotes well-being. We are determined to nurture and develop our employees to reach their highest potential, and we know that our success is down to the passion, commitment and hard work of our talented people. We recognise the urgent need to attract and support applicants from all backgrounds and identities to become part of the global publishing industry, allowing diverse voices to reflect and shape our culture and society.
Please read more on our Missions and Values here.
Please read our environmental policy here.