Head of Fiction, UK Sales
Bloomsbury Publishing is looking for a Head of Fiction Sales to join our UK Adult Sales Team and lead the growth plans of our stellar line up of Bloomsbury fiction authors including Isabel Allende, Susanna Clarke, Abdulrazak Gurnah, Khaled Hosseini, Celia Imrie, Patricia Lockwood, Sarah J. Maas, Ann Patchett and Kiley Reid.
This newly created role presents an exciting opportunity for an experienced, enthusiastic and sales/profit hungry professional, with a real passion for launching and growing fiction titles from new and established authors, to join the fast-moving and high-performing Sales Team of a top 5 UK publisher at a senior sales level.
The Head of Fiction role will report in to the UK Adult Sales Director and will lead the Adult Sales Team’s growth strategy for all fiction titles. Working closely in tandem with the Head of Non-Fiction and Cookery the Head of Fiction will jointly lead our best in class sales team in delivering ambitious and sustainable sales, profit and market growth.
The Head of Fiction will sell all Bloomsbury Consumer and Special Interest fiction titles to one key high street account and, as a key member of the overall Adult team, will also be a contributing voice in UK Sales discussions for all adult title acquisitions as well as being the fiction lead. The role will have direct reports tbc.
The successful candidate will have a deep knowledge of the UK fiction market, have a recent track record of sales growth in their retail accounts to date and people management experience. They will be a confident communicator keen to work collaboratively with internal and external contacts to further grow our sales and market share in line with Bloomsbury’s exciting overall future growth plans.
- UK lead on Adult Fiction strategy and lead contributor to the budgeting/reforecasting process under the guidance of the Adult Sales Director.
- Key voice in the Bloomsbury Fiction acquisitions process, providing market analysis and context to UK acquisition figures. Contributor to all adult team acquisition discussions.
- Advisor on suitability for market in terms of format/cover/RRP and any other relevant points.
- Contribute to annual strategic reviews of key accounts’ business with Bloomsbury and make tailored recommendations to drive sales and inform strategic customer plans.
- Support the Adult Sales Director in setting/monitoring sales targets at title and customer level.
- Management of retail spend budget, working closely with Marketing/Publicity to ensure we have the right campaign for the right book, targeted at the right consumer.
- Monitor Key Account spend/overheads ensuring best Return on Investment whilst protecting profit margins.
- Owner of the Trade ‘special editions’ strategy within Sales, selectively maximising title opportunity in tune with crucial profitability and TCM ambition.
- Effectively build collaborative relationships across Adult Publishing Divisions.
- Represent the Adult Sales Director /provide written contributions for author and agent pitches.
- Contribute to scheduling/critical path management.
- Liaise closely with Operations and provide key information in relation to print runs/reprints/overstocks/logistics.
- Support the wider sales team in presenting regular sales data/analysis and market trends/customer activity insights.
- Work with Digital/Website team on seasonal/backlist opportunities, and strategic price promotions.
- Provide general support to the UK Adult Sales Director and UK Sales Director as required, including market research, data analysis, researching acquisition figures and competitor titles, and inputting acquisition figures into Biblio.
- Covering for and supporting colleagues where necessary.
- Direct reports tbc.
- Account management – KAM responsibilities for one key account tbc.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Negotiation skills
- Presentation skills
- Able to manage a team
- Highly numerate and comfortable with forecasting, budgeting and data analysis
- Experienced in selling multi publishing formats to all channels including Trade, Non-Trade and Online
- The interpersonal skills necessary to develop and sustain effective relationships internally, and on behalf of the Company with external bodies and with its suppliers
- Able to identify and highlight potential obstacles to achieving objectives and propose solutions where appropriate
- Leads by example and possesses a high degree of integrity
- Possesses a high level of resilience and drive, able to be flexible and change direction as required
- Can juggle a busy workload and multitask
- Excellent communicator who is confident in dealing with people at all levels, both in person and over email
- Excellent attention to detail and focus on efficiency at all times
- Excellent time-management and organisational skills, with a keen awareness of deadlines
- Experience of multi-tasking and prioritising a busy work-load with competing demands on your time
- Ability to adapt to changing daily tasks
- Strong IT skills, particularly Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Teams
- Proficient with systems such as Biblio, Nielsen, Cognos and Vista
The role is a full-time permanent position.
The role is based at our London office 50 Bedford Square, London, WC1B 3DP on a hybrid working pattern of 2 days office based / 3 days home based (or fully office based if preferred). Allocated office days for this role are: Monday and Tuesday
Please apply with a CV and covering letter addressed to Human Resources (Word or PDF format only) via the ‘APPLY NOW’ button detailing how you meet the requirements outlined above for this role by Friday 11th February.
Bloomsbury reserve the right to close the role early if we exceed the required number of applications
As well as a fantastic opportunity to join a global award-winning organisation, Bloomsbury offers the following competitive benefits package:
- hybrid working pattern of: 2 days office based / 3 days home based (or fully office based if preferred)
- 25 days holiday
- 3.5 days Christmas company holiday
Flexible Fridays – take Friday afternoon off by working an additional 3 hours and 45 minutes earlier in the week
Season Ticket Loan
Eyecare Voucher Scheme
That Day – online fitness classes, mindfulness, cookery classes, workshops etc.
Company culture! – Employee Voice Meetings, Staff Networks (BAME, Disability, Mental Health, LGBTQ+ and Parents, Guardians and Carers), 15 Mental Health First Aiders trained across the UK offices, Publishing Events and access to free Publishing Resources
For additional benefits see below
Bloomsbury is a place where anyone of any background, race, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, gender identity, age, ability, or socio-economic status can thrive, feel comfortable, and be heard and accepted. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all sections of the community.
We are willing to make any reasonable adjustments throughout the recruitment process, please flag to the recruitment team if required
Applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK.
Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.
Bloomsbury Publishing is a leading independent publishing house, established in 1986, with authors who have won the Nobel, Pulitzer and Booker Prizes, and is the originating publisher and custodian of the Harry Potter series. Bloomsbury has offices in London, New York, New Delhi, Oxford and Sydney. Within Bloomsbury’s Academic division, it publishes under Bloomsbury, as well as under a number of prestigious and historic imprint names. Read Our Story for how it all began.
Bloomsbury is committed to creating a working environment that stimulates creativity and collaboration, is respectful of difference, is inclusive and ethical in its practice, and promotes well-being. We are determined to nurture and develop our employees to reach their highest potential, and we know that our success is down to the passion, commitment and hard work of our talented people. We recognise the urgent need to attract and support applicants from all backgrounds and identities to become part of the global publishing industry, allowing diverse voices to reflect and shape our culture and society.
Please read more on our Missions and Values here.
Please read our environmental policy here.