Head of Product Management
Bloomsbury Publishing Plc is an entrepreneurial, independent, worldwide publisher listed on the London Stock Exchange with offices in London, Oxford, New York, Sydney and New Delhi. Bloomsbury’s mission is to publish works of excellence and originality.
Bloomsbury Digital Resources develops new digital products to expand Bloomsbury’s academic and professional portfolio. The Division, which has met with considerable success, has launched a number of award-winning products since set-up in 2016.
The Head of Product Management for Bloomsbury Professional presents a rare opportunity for the right person to provide vision and direction as we expand our portfolio of online Law and Tax products, aimed primarily at the UK and Ireland professional market. Working collaboratively across functions, the successful candidate will direct our digital product development as part of a small creative team with ambitious goals and entrepreneurial flair.
This role has responsibility for launching and developing new products on the Bloomsbury Professional Online platform based around IP generated by our Professional publishing team, or through licensing deals. Working closely with in-house and external content providers, the successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Delivering a forward plan of successful and profitable online products that match the needs of Bloomsbury Professional’s core market
- Articulating the platform requirements and roadmap, ensuring that technology solutions match market expectations
- Supplying strategic direction for existing products, ensuring they continue to be optimised for market needs to maximize usage, engagement, customer retention and revenue
- Improving processes and leading cross-functional teams to deliver timely new products and content updates that are driven by market evidence
- Commercial and strategic accountability for the Professional suite of online products: responsible for articulating the product vision in a platform-wide Business Plan, and for defining content scope, roadmap and platform requirements
- Provide effective leadership, strategic direction and staff development within the Bloomsbury Professional cross-functional team, encouraging the skill-sharing, innovation and collaboration required to deliver and expand the portfolio
- Accountable for overall budget and P&L of the product family, as agreed with and signed off by Managing Director and Group Finance Director
- Own the platform roadmap, working with the Head of Digital Technology, Director of Product Management, other internal stakeholders to agree plans for the platform, including possible migration, and liaising with external software developers on delivering new features and bug fixes
- Representing the company at key events including pitches to key customers, clearly communicating the value of the content and a Bloomsbury partnership
- Working with Sales, Marketing and other stakeholders to agree sales models, pricing, branding and visual design for BPrO products
- Act as Product Champion: communicate key product information to Sales and Marketing, respond to sales and customer issues and troubleshoot
- Monitoring and reporting on competitor activity to ensure we remain innovative
- Manage User Experience research, market feedback and analytics programmes to ensure that product requirements meet user needs, to deliver improvements based on user data, and escalate at-risk customer accounts
Skills, knowledge and experience
- Positive, proactive self-starter with problem-solving and analytical skills
- A publishing professional with a good understanding of key contexts and issues in for professional customers and end-users, preferably within legal and/or accounting markets
- An ability to work with stakeholders both within and outside the business and a focus on the competitive landscape, who thrives on winning business and moving new ideas and products forward
- Proven commercial acumen and track record of product management and meeting targets and deadlines
- Highly desirable: knowledge of emerging trends and issues in the UK legal marketplace, particularly in relation to digital products and corporate sales
- Experience of managing complex stakeholder relations and internal staff across functions to ensure content is delivered on time and to budget
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, and ability to lead by persuasion and influence
- Technical fluency and understanding of user-centred design principles
- Excellent time management and efficient execution of tasks
- Flexibility and ability to adapt and respond to change
The role is a full-time permanent position, based at our main office in the heart of London’s west end, 50 Bedford Square, London, WC1B 3DP, though an Oxford base is also a possibility. When our offices reopen it will be on a mandatory working pattern of 2 days office based / 3 days home based (or fully office based if preferred).
Bloomsbury offers a very collegial working environment, with a dedicated and enthusiastic team, competitive benefits, generous staff discounts and flexible working arrangements.
Please apply with a CV and covering letter addressed to Human Resources (Word or PDF format only) detailing how you meet the requirements outlined above for this role and with salary expectations by Sunday 15 August 2021
Applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK.
Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.
Bloomsbury Publishing is a leading independent publishing house, established in 1986, with authors who have won the Nobel, Pulitzer and Booker Prizes, and is the originating publisher and custodian of the Harry Potter series. Bloomsbury has offices in London, New York, New Delhi, Oxford and Sydney. Within Bloomsbury’s Academic division, it publishes under Bloomsbury, as well as under a number of prestigious and historic imprint names. Read Our Story for how it all began.
Bloomsbury is committed to creating a working environment that stimulates creativity and collaboration, is respectful of difference, is inclusive and ethical in its practice, and promotes well-being. We are determined to nurture and develop our employees to reach their highest potential, and we know that our success is down to the passion, commitment and hard work of our talented people. We recognise the urgent need to attract and support applicants from all backgrounds and identities to become part of the global publishing industry, allowing diverse voices to reflect and shape our culture and society.
Please read more on our Missions and Values here.
Please read our environmental policy here.