Bloomsbury Publishing is looking for a Head of Sales, UK Sales to join our Bloomsbury UK Adult Sales Team.
This newly created role presents an exciting opportunity for an experienced, enthusiastic and sales/profit hungry professional with a real passion for launching and growing the sales of titles from new and established authors, to join the fast-growing, fast-moving and high-performing Sales Team of a top 5 UK publisher at a senior sales level.
This Head of Sales role will report in to the UK Adult Sales Director and will play a crucial part in the overall Bloomsbury growth strategy working closely in tandem with other divisional Heads of Sales to lead our best in class sales team in delivering ambitious and sustainable sales, profit and market growth for authors across the wider lists including Isabel Allende, Susanna Clarke, Peter Frankopan, Neil Gaiman, Abdulrazak Gurnah, Johann Hari, Elodie Harper, Dan Jones, Tom Kerridge, SJ Maas, Madeline Miller, Alan Moore, Tom Percival, J.K.Rowling, Katherine Rundell, Louis Sachar, Samantha Shannon, Lisa Taddeo and Stuart Turton.
You will be a key contributing voice in UK Sales discussions for all adult title acquisitions as well as being the divisional lead on one specific area of the Adult lists, tbc. The role will also be the internal Bloomsbury Channel Champion for a major high street account including some direct selling responsibility to that account.
The successful candidate will have a deep knowledge of the UK market and will have a recent track record of sales growth in their retail accounts to date. They will be a confident communicator keen to work collaboratively with internal and external contacts to further grow our sales and market share in line with Bloomsbury’s exciting overall future growth plans.
The role will have direct reports tbc.
Based in our Bedford Square office this will be a hybrid-working position.
- UK lead on a specific area of the Adult Trade strategy and lead contributor to the budgeting/reforecasting process under the guidance of the Adult Sales Director.
- Key voice in the Bloomsbury Trade acquisitions process, providing market analysis and context to UK acquisition figures. Contributor to all adult team acquisition discussions.
- Advisor on suitability for market in terms of format/cover/RRP and any other relevant points.
- Contribute to annual strategic reviews of key accounts’ business with Bloomsbury and make tailored recommendations to drive sales and inform strategic customer plans.
- Support the Adult Sales Director in setting/monitoring sales targets at title and customer level.
- Management of retail spend budget, working closely with Marketing/Publicity to ensure we have the right campaign for the right book, targeted at the right consumer.
- Monitor Key Account spend/overheads ensuring best Return on Investment whilst protecting profit margins.
- Effectively build collaborative relationships across Adult Publishing Divisions.
- Represent the Adult Sales Director /provide written contributions for author and agent pitches.
- Contribute to scheduling/critical path management.
- Liaise closely with Operations and provide key information in relation to print runs/reprints/overstocks/logistics.
- As a retail Channel Champion for a major high street account, work in collaboration with all key stakeholders to communicate monthly sales feedback and develop and implement strategy.
- Support the wider sales team in presenting regular sales data/analysis and market trends/customer activity insights.
- Work with Digital/Website team on seasonal/backlist opportunities, and strategic price promotions.
- Provide general support to the UK Adult Sales Director and UK Sales Director as required, including market research, data analysis, researching acquisition figures and competitor titles, and inputting acquisition figures into Biblio.
- Covering for and supporting colleagues where necessary.
- Direct reports tbc.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Negotiation skills
- Presentation skills
- Experience of selling to a major high street account
- Experience of people management
- Highly numerate and comfortable with forecasting, budgeting and data analysis
- Experienced in selling multi publishing formats to all channels including Trade, Non-Trade and Online
- The interpersonal skills necessary to develop and sustain effective relationships internally, and on behalf of the Company with external bodies and with its suppliers
- Able to identify and highlight potential obstacles to achieving objectives and propose solutions where appropriate
- Leads by example and possesses a high degree of integrity
- Possesses a high level of resilience and drive, able to be flexible and change direction as required
- Can juggle a busy workload and multitask
- Excellent communicator who is confident in dealing with people at all levels, both in person and over email
- Excellent attention to detail and focus on efficiency at all times
- Excellent time-management and organisational skills, with a keen awareness of deadlines
- Experience of multi-tasking and prioritising a busy work-load with competing demands on your time
- Ability to adapt to changing daily tasks
- Strong IT skills, particularly Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Teams
- Proficient with systems such as Biblio, Nielsen, Cognos and Vista
The role is a full-time permanent position.
The role is based at our London office 50 Bedford Square, London, WC1B 3DP on a hybrid-working pattern of 2 days office based / 3 days home based (or fully office based if preferred). Allocated office days for this role are Monday and Tuesday.
Please apply with a CV and covering letter addressed to Human Resources (Word or PDF format only) via the ‘APPLY NOW’ button detailing how you meet the requirements outlined above for this role by Monday 20th March 2023.
Bloomsbury reserve the right to close the role early if we exceed the required number of applications
As well as a fantastic opportunity to join a global award-winning organisation, Bloomsbury offers the following competitive benefits package:
- hybrid working pattern of: 2 days office based / 3 days home based (or fully office based if preferred)
- 25 days holiday
- 3.5 days Christmas company holiday
Two paid Personal Wellness Days
Flexible Fridays – take Friday afternoon off by working an additional 3 hours and 45 minutes earlier in the week
Season Ticket Loan
Eyecare Voucher Scheme
Company culture – Employee Voice Meetings, Staff Networks (Bloom (BAME), Accessibility, Mental Health, Pride, and Parents, Guardians and Carers), 9 Mental Health First Aiders trained across the UK offices, Publishing Events and access to free Publishing Resources
For additional benefits see below
Bloomsbury is a place where anyone of any background, race, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, gender identity, age, ability, or socio-economic status can thrive, feel comfortable, and be heard and accepted. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all sections of the community.
We are willing to make any reasonable adjustments throughout the recruitment process, please flag to the recruitment team if required
Applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK.
Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.
Bloomsbury Publishing is a leading independent publishing house, established in 1986, with authors who have won the Nobel, Pulitzer and Booker Prizes, and is the originating publisher and custodian of the Harry Potter series. Bloomsbury has offices in London, New York, New Delhi, Oxford and Sydney. Within Bloomsbury’s Academic division, it publishes under Bloomsbury, as well as under a number of prestigious and historic imprint names. Read Our Story for how it all began.
Bloomsbury is committed to creating a working environment that stimulates creativity and collaboration, is respectful of difference, is inclusive and ethical in its practice, and promotes well-being. We are determined to nurture and develop our employees to reach their highest potential, and we know that our success is down to the passion, commitment and hard work of our talented people. We recognise the urgent need to attract and support applicants from all backgrounds and identities to become part of the global publishing industry, allowing diverse voices to reflect and shape our culture and society.
Please read more on our Missions and Values here.
Please read our environmental policy here.