Head of Zeus, part of Bloomsbury Publishing Plc, is a publisher of fiction, narrative nonfiction and children’s books, committed to new talent, great writing and quality in everything we produce. With our 35-strong team based in Clerkenwell (and remote), we have centuries of expertise, global reach, and a nimble, creative, decisive culture.
There is a fantastic opportunity for a Production Controller to join our small Production team on a 8-month contract and look after the scheduling and production of front list titles. We’re looking for someone with a keen eye for detail, an ability to multi task and work to tight deadlines within the agreed budget, quality and lead-time requirements. This could be a perfect opportunity for a Production assistant looking for their next move,
Primary responsibilities will be:
- Managing the front list titles of one of our commercial imprints: booking copyeditors and proofreaders; liaising with typesetters; circulating prelims and backmatter for sign-off for books across the list.
- Maintaining schedules on Biblio and liaising with the Editorial and Art departments to ensure deadlines are met.
- Supervising the final stages of production – raising Purchase Orders and sending to print; checking printers’ proofs, ensuring quality of the highest standards is maintained throughout.
- Sending final files for conversion to eBook.
Other responsibilities will include:
- Supervising reprints and POD set up – checking if corrections are needed, liaising with typesetters, raising Purchase Orders and sending to print; checking printers’ proofs.
- Using printers’ calculators and Biblio to cost front list titles and reprints.
- Checking invoices.
- Archiving final files.
- Working knowledge of Biblio3.
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, InDesign in particular.
- Some experience of working in a book production department or publishing environment.
- Highly organised, with the ability to multi-task and prioritise workload.
- Meticulous and thorough, with a keen eye for detail.
- Excellent communication and numeracy skills.
This is a full time, temporary (8 month fixed term) role based in our office in Clerkenwell (Angel / Farringdon / Kings Cross tube stations). Our policy currently is two days in the office / three days at home, although people are welcome to work from the office every day if they wish to do so.
Please apply with a CV and covering letter addressed to Human Resources (Word or PDF format only) via the ‘APPLY NOW’ button detailing how you meet the requirements outlined above for this role by Monday 16th October.
As well as a fantastic opportunity to join a global award-winning organisation, Bloomsbury offers the following competitive benefits package:
- hybrid working pattern of: 2 days office based / 3 days home based (or fully office based if preferred)
- 25 days holiday
- 3.5 days Christmas company holiday
- Two paid Personal Wellness Days
- Flexible Fridays – take Friday afternoon off by working an additional 3 hours and 45 minutes earlier in the week
- Season Ticket Loan
- Sharesave Scheme
- AXA Healthcare Plan (Private Medical Insurance)
- In-house Doctor
- Eyecare Voucher Scheme
- Company culture – Employee Voice Meetings, Staff Networks (Bloom (BAME), Accessibility, Mental Health, Pride, and Parents, Guardians and Carers) and 21 Mental Health First Aiders trained across the UK offices, Publishing Events and access to free Publishing Resources
For additional benefits see below
Bloomsbury is a place where anyone of any background, race, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, gender identity, age, ability, or socio-economic status can thrive, feel comfortable, and be heard and accepted. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all sections of the community.
We are willing to make any reasonable adjustments throughout the recruitment process, please flag to the recruitment team if required
Applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK.
Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.
Bloomsbury Publishing is a leading independent publishing house, established in 1986, with authors who have won the Nobel, Pulitzer and Booker Prizes, and is the originating publisher and custodian of the Harry Potter series. Bloomsbury has offices in London, New York, New Delhi, Oxford and Sydney. Within Bloomsbury’s Academic division, it publishes under Bloomsbury, as well as under a number of prestigious and historic imprint names. Read Our Story for how it all began.
Bloomsbury is committed to creating a working environment that stimulates creativity and collaboration, is respectful of difference, is inclusive and ethical in its practice, and promotes well-being. We are determined to nurture and develop our employees to reach their highest potential, and we know that our success is down to the passion, commitment and hard work of our talented people. We recognise the urgent need to attract and support applicants from all backgrounds and identities to become part of the global publishing industry, allowing diverse voices to reflect and shape our culture and society.
Please read more on our Missions and Values here.
Please read our environmental policy here.