Bloomsbury Publishing PLC is an entrepreneurial, independent, worldwide publisher listed on the London Stock Exchange with offices in London, Oxford, New York, Sydney and New Delhi. Over its 33 year history, Bloomsbury’s mission has been to publish works of excellence and originality.
We are looking for a Project Manager to provide Project Management expertise to support the development of key systems, both internal and customer-facing. Reporting to the Head of Project Office, you will work with Finance, Sales and other internal teams in order to realise the development of new, business-critical systems.
- Manage software / systems development or implementation projects
- Manage other projects as required
General project best practice
- Scope and manage the end-to-end delivery of new projects to time, scope and budget and within agreed quality parameters
- Apply project management principles to projects, eg Develop full scale project plans; Create and maintain risk logs, issue logs and change request documentation; Lead status meetings; Provide status reports for projects etc
- Proactively manage tasks, ensuring resources are deployed and deadlines are met
- Ensure prompt escalation to senior management when project deliverables are at risk
- Manage stakeholders across the business to ensure effective requirements gathering and ongoing communication throughout the project lifecycle
- Own, manage and maintain key supplier relationships and act as a point of reference/project planning advice for internal teams
- Support the Project Office with lessons learned, best practices, and standardised methodologies
- Project manage all elements of the software development lifecycle (e.g. requirements, development, testing, rollout) working with internal stakeholders and external suppliers
- Use JIRA for above tasks
- Use Confluence for key project documents
- Establish, monitor and report on budgets, escalating to relevant project team members if appropriate
- Suggest ways of reducing costs whilst maintaining quality
Project mentoring and support
- Provide informal mentoring and support on projects (possibly also participate in training workshops) for staff who need to develop their technical skills/understanding relating to projects
This is not meant to be an exhaustive list of duties. The need for flexibility is required and the job holder is expected to carry out any other related duties that are within the employee's skills and abilities whenever reasonably instructed.
Skills, knowledge, experience
- Experience of managing software development or systems implementation projects
- Knowledge of and experience using project management methodology: Prince2 or PMI or Agile
- Experience of managing testing
- Familiarity with MS Project, JIRA and Confluence
- Excellent stakeholder management skills
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Problem solving and analytical mind
- Proactive, "can-do" attitude
- Be an innovative self-starter
- Have an excellent eye for detail
- Ability to meet deadlines and juggle workloads
- Experience in a web-related role in Academic or Professional Publishing and understanding of this sector
- Experience in project managing content-rich digital products
- Good working knowledge of XML
- Understanding of eCommerce website development
- Knowledge of and experience using business analysis techniques, eg understanding of ETL and data modelling
- High-level knowledge of financial concepts
The role is a full-time permanent position and is based at our London office 50 Bedford Square, London, WC1B 3DP on a hybrid working pattern of 2 days office based / 3 days home based (or fully office based if preferred). Allocated office days for this role are: Wednesday and Thursday
Please apply with a CV and covering letter addressed to Human Resources (Word or PDF format only) via the ‘APPLY NOW’ button detailing how you meet the requirements outlined above for this role and please note in the subject line: ‘Project Manager by close date of Friday 8th July.
Bloomsbury reserve the right to close the role early if we exceed the required number of applications
As well as a fantastic opportunity to join a global award-winning organisation, Bloomsbury offers the following competitive benefits package:
- hybrid working pattern of: 2 days office based / 3 days home based (or fully office based if preferred)
- 25 days holiday
- 3.5 days Christmas company holiday
- 2 Personal Wellness Days
Flexible Fridays – take Friday afternoon off by working an additional 3 hours and 45 minutes earlier in the week
Season Ticket Loan
Eyecare Voucher Scheme
That Day – access to complementary wellness workshops
Company culture! – Employee Voice Meetings, Staff Networks (BAME, Disability, Mental Health, LGBTQ+ and Parents, Guardians and Carers), 15 Mental Health First Aiders trained across the UK offices, Publishing Events and access to free Publishing Resources
For additional benefits see below
Bloomsbury is a place where anyone of any background, race, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, gender identity, age, ability, or socio-economic status can thrive, feel comfortable, and be heard and accepted. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all sections of the community.
We are willing to make any reasonable adjustments throughout the recruitment process, please flag to the recruitment team if required
Applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK.
Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.
Bloomsbury Publishing is a leading independent publishing house, established in 1986, with authors who have won the Nobel, Pulitzer and Booker Prizes, and is the originating publisher and custodian of the Harry Potter series. Bloomsbury has offices in London, New York, New Delhi, Oxford and Sydney. Within Bloomsbury’s Academic division, it publishes under Bloomsbury, as well as under a number of prestigious and historic imprint names. Read Our Story for how it all began.
Bloomsbury is committed to creating a working environment that stimulates creativity and collaboration, is respectful of difference, is inclusive and ethical in its practice, and promotes well-being. We are determined to nurture and develop our employees to reach their highest potential, and we know that our success is down to the passion, commitment and hard work of our talented people. We recognise the urgent need to attract and support applicants from all backgrounds and identities to become part of the global publishing industry, allowing diverse voices to reflect and shape our culture and society.
Please read more on our Missions and Values here.
Please read our environmental policy here.