Join Bloomsbury, home to award-winning, internationally bestselling and critically-acclaimed authors including Kamila Shamsie, Lisa Taddeo, Madeline Miller, Sarah J Maas, Ann Patchett, George Saunders, Abdulrazak Gurnah, Patricia Lockwood, Leila Mottley, Kiley Reid, Stuart Turton, Edward Enninful, Munroe Bergdorf , Tom Kerridge, Elizabeth Gilbert, and Peter Frankopan. We publish the best titles in fiction, non-fiction, cookery, illustrated and poetry across our adult trade publishing list.
We are looking for a highly motivated and creative Publicity Manager with an expertise in fiction, to plan, implement and manage innovative, impactful and strategic media campaigns that target key audiences and break new ground. You will be joining a collaborative and supportive Publicity team, reporting into the Head of Publicity for Fiction, and work on an exciting and varied list of books that crosses literary fiction, commercial and crime fiction, non-fiction, poetry, cookery and more. You will be ambitious for our authors, as well as championing the list as a whole to external stakeholders and pursuing new promotional opportunities and ideas internally and externally. Excellent interpersonal skills are a given, and you will be adept at maintaining close working relationships across all departments and in particular with editorial, sales and marketing colleagues.
- Create and manage sales-driving, multi-platform publicity campaigns on individual titles across all formats (physical, eBook, audio)
- Management of individual title budgets
- Proactively pursue new ventures and projects to help promote the list and its authors, staying abreast of key publishing trends, the wider book market and cultural sector
- Confidently communicate promotional activity to internal and external stakeholders, including liaising with Bloomsbury’s global offices
- Contribute to discussions around strategy and vision for the adult trade lists, including providing acquisition feedback from a PR angle and the opportunity to pitch for new authors
- Build and maintain relationships with authors and agents; provide outstanding author care and have experience managing sensitive and/or confidential projects
- Initiate and maintain relationships with journalists, event organisers booksellers and retail partners
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Excellent contact base across print, broadcast, podcast and online media
- Excellent understanding of the events space for fiction with good contacts at literary festivals and with the trade
- Ability to discern objectives and implement strategy to achieve those objectives
- Ability to work to deadline and within budget
- Ability to multi-task, work flexibly and identify priorities
- Curiosity to explore and test new avenues in the media and the book trade to drive sales
- Excellent communication skills in person and in writing
- A proven track record in handling publicity campaigns, with specialist knowledge in fiction
Our work is driven by different perspectives and we strive for our culture to be one of belonging. We welcome applicants of all backgrounds and identities.
The role is a full-time permanent position.
The role is based at our London office 50 Bedford Square, London, WC1B 3DP, on a hybrid working pattern of 2 days office based / 3 days home based (or fully office based if preferred). Allocated office days for this role are Mondays & Tuesdays.
Please apply with a CV and covering letter, which includes the campaign you’ve been most proud to work on and the book you most enjoyed reading in the past year addressed to Human Resources (Word or PDF format only) via the ‘APPLY NOW’ button detailing how you meet the requirements outlined above for this role by 14th August 2022.
Bloomsbury reserve the right to close the role early if we exceed the required number of applications
As well as a fantastic opportunity to join a global award-winning organisation, Bloomsbury offers the following competitive benefits package:
- hybrid working pattern of: 2 days office based / 3 days home based (or fully office based if preferred)
- 25 days holiday
- 3.5 days Christmas company holiday
- 2 Personal Wellness Days
Flexible Fridays – take Friday afternoon off by working an additional 3 hours and 45 minutes earlier in the week
Season Ticket Loan
Eyecare Voucher Scheme
That Day – access to complementary wellness workshops
Company culture! – Employee Voice Meetings, Staff Networks (BAME, Disability, Mental Health, LGBTQ+ and Parents, Guardians and Carers), 12 Mental Health First Aiders trained across the UK offices, Publishing Events and access to free Publishing Resources
For additional benefits see below
Bloomsbury is a place where anyone of any background, race, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, gender identity, age, ability, or socio-economic status can thrive, feel comfortable, and be heard and accepted. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all sections of the community.
We are willing to make any reasonable adjustments throughout the recruitment process, please flag to the recruitment team if required
Applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK.
Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.
Bloomsbury Publishing is a leading independent publishing house, established in 1986, with authors who have won the Nobel, Pulitzer and Booker Prizes, and is the originating publisher and custodian of the Harry Potter series. Bloomsbury has offices in London, New York, New Delhi, Oxford and Sydney. Within Bloomsbury’s Academic division, it publishes under Bloomsbury, as well as under a number of prestigious and historic imprint names. Read Our Story for how it all began.
Bloomsbury is committed to creating a working environment that stimulates creativity and collaboration, is respectful of difference, is inclusive and ethical in its practice, and promotes well-being. We are determined to nurture and develop our employees to reach their highest potential, and we know that our success is down to the passion, commitment and hard work of our talented people. We recognise the urgent need to attract and support applicants from all backgrounds and identities to become part of the global publishing industry, allowing diverse voices to reflect and shape our culture and society.
Please read more on our Missions and Values here.
Please read our environmental policy here.